[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: all-breed vs. specialty

  • From: "windmillgsd@xxxxxxxx" <windmillgsd@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 19:39:13 GMT

"That brings up another issue.  We want movement and correct side gait.  WHAT
IS THAT?  Is it the beautiful suspension and floating movement we see in our
back yard, or is it the racing maniacs?  Specialties nowadays are all about
manic racers and not about the pace that a GSD can do all day to tend their
flock or work as a service dog 24/7.  Sure, a dog can run like the wind for
his/her classes.  But, can he sustain a real job?  How can this breed be
considered versatile when all they do is race like a Greyhound and get rewarded
for it?  I don't get it

Just some thoughts.

Laura."

Exactly what I was saying, Laura.  I believe that the suspension and floating
movement is what we SHOULD be breeding for, and SHOULD be exhibiting!  I don't
see it at specialties very much anymore, which is why I really don't enjoy
exhibiting there.  That isn't what is winning, and it is a shame, IMO.  I have
seen a LOT of nice dogs exhibited at the all-breeds lately that have shown the
type of suspension and what I perceive as correct movement that to me, should
be capable of winning at specialties.  But guess what?  They wouldn't win at
most specialties because that isn't what the judges are looking for.  Many of
these correct dogs that I have seen are out of some of the same lines as the
specialty winning dogs, so what is the difference?  Is it the way that we have
trained them?  If so, maybe the specialty exhibitors really need to think about
WHY they have trained their dogs to run hell bent for leather.  Everyone
remember the slow-motion youtube video of the GSD gaiting?  How lovely that
video was?  I want to SEE that suspension and correct movement in a dog...I
just CAN'T see it when they are running at 100mph around the ring!

--Heather (Windmill GSDs, President--GSDC of Dallas)
Proud mom of Ashley...2002 AND 2008 GSDCA Best Junior, 6 time winner of the
Robert Hamilton Award; Holly...2008 Number 1 Aussie Jr; and Logan...2010 Euk
qualified and current #1 GSD Junior!
http://www.windmillgermanshepherds.com