[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: airlines / dogs flying

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <sally@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 11:04:17 -0800

Hi Ginger;
I don't know what airlines you've flown on.......but every time I've flown,
whether I'm taking the dog
through the Terminal with us,  or  if we're  shipping  them through Cargo by
themselves...they are
handled and loaded with the regular baggage.     They may ride the little cart
out to the airlplane
by themselves....but I sit in the window and WATCH them go up the conveyor belt
into the plane
with the regular baggage.    They are usually loaded last so they are closer to
the door when
they open it upon arrival to get out first........but that's about the ony
'concession'  for them.
No....they do not normally come through on the luggage Carusel at the
airport.....but who knows
what new help may have stuck Sally's dog on one......they normally come into
the same area
through the cargo doors for larger baggage.    They also come back down the
conveyor belt
again out of the plane.
Coming back from one National years ago the fellow with the Winners Dog was
worrying
about his dog flying and he asked them at the loading gate if his dog was
loaded before he
would get on the plane and they said yes he was.....along with about 15 other
dogs  one cat!! <G>
Now they limit the number of dogs on a plane in cargo at one time to 2 to about
5 on some.

The major concern with the dog for the airlines is the time they sit on the
tarmac  OUT of
the plane...... or in the cargo area waiting to be loaded in cases of extreme
heat or cold.
That is why there are weather restrictions.

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

  From: Sally

  The whole point is that  they are over crowding the cargo areas which makes
it more danger
  for live animals.  And I did have to retrieve a bitch from the baggage
carousel.
  You all ship anywhere you want to -  In my opinion it is not longer save and
  I will not subject my dogs to it.sally

  From: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [Ginger Cleary Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re:
airlines
  Sally,
  Dogs are NOT handled with the 'regular' baggage. They are never allowed on
  the conveyor belts. It is against the law. BIG, BIG fine for the airline if
  they are found to be doing so.    Ginger Cleary