[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: age to ween babies

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Shepherds4us@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 08:24:06 -0500 (EST)

2nd Step made by Esbilac.  The advantages are the nutrients are all  there
and when you make is less liquid you don't end up w/ constipated puppies
(which happens when you decrease the liquid in the human baby cereal
recipes).  Once I start them on that they move quickly to a thicker  "porridge"
type
meal that I have some ground up soaked puppy kibble  in.

As far as timing?  Depends on the size of the litter.  I am  always in the
box with them anyway, so if it is a large litter I'll start  offering a
little liquid formula to one puppy at a time at 2- 2 1/2 weeks, more  or less
get their little noses in it.  By three weeks they are all  lapping from a
puppy saucer but mom has access until they leave.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 12/21/2011 12:36:54 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Shepherds4us@xxxxxxx writes:

what do  most people find to be the optimum time to start weaning the
babies?
Any special recipe suggestions, anything but Science Diet,,,,please I  am
o;d fashioned, Gerber Rice cereal, Evaporated milk and Karo  syrup.

Todd,Joanie,Josh,Frank & Roberta Vigor
Tonor German   Shepherds
Ch. Ken-Delaine's Buddie v Fran-Jo, TC, OFA ( Waiting at  the  Rainbow
Bridge).
RBIF, Tonor's Under Siege
Zytut's   Kilymoon Angel OFA
Sunnydae Ivy v Tonor, OFA
Sunnydae Hollywood v  Tonor,  OFA
Ch. Caretti's Hell's Angel OFA
"When Love and Skill  Come  Together, Expect A  Masterpiece"
POST  is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.