[ SHOWGSD-L ] adventures in Canada

  • From: Diane Wright <diwri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 17:22:00 -0700 (PDT)

This past weekend in Ontario, the Canadian Briard Club held the first ever CKC
Tending Trial.

Susan Sullivan & I were the judges.

A ton of hard work went into making this event happen. The afternoon before the
trial we all worked until 5 pm making the borders for the course. We were using
sheep manure & hay out of the barn. It's very visible, it's cheap & it helps
the grass grow next season.

It took 3 pick up truck loads of manure, carefully placed in rows with pitch
forks to get our borders down. It was a miserable day, hot & humid with no
breeze at all. One of those days were you can become a huge sweatball just
breathing... and there we were, scooping manure into neat little rows.

There were 5 tested entries under Susan, 3 passing, one retired, one absent. I
had 6 entries, 4 passing, one running out of time & one absent. 2 Shelties
became the first dogs in CKC history to have tending titles!

The CKC HT (herding tested) is more similar to AKC's PT than the HT. It's held
in the trial field, there are 3 fence line obstacles to move the sheep thru,
plus the stop & a repen. We were doing the HTT... herding tested tending which
has all those elements plus a 1-3 minute graze.

In the trial level, Susan's dog Nomi (AKC CH & 5 HC points) and my dog Jack
(AKC HC) were entered in the started level. The sheep made the dogs work for
their legs & both dogs are the first qualifying tending trial legged dogs in
Canada.

Jack was bred by Laurie Pruett... I'm sure she'd be pleased to hear he's making
Canadian canine history.

:-)
Diane