[ SHOWGSD-L ] about noises and dogs...

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:58:45 EDT

In a message dated 7/15/2006 11:44:28 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx writes:
I have  had friends who had to get home 'Muy pronto' if a thunderstorm came
up  because they had a Shepherd that would kill itself trying to get away
from
the noise it was so terrified and would have run into the side of a moving
train in it's  sheer panic!  Any sudden noise and he would   react like it
was a
Devil from hell... A gun shot and he would have made  tall tracks getting out
of
the area...  They had to get  home  and  tranquilize the dog, in a
Thunderstorm
, and also  on the  4th of July, etc... They remodeled their home and had to
tranquilize the  dog because of all the construction work and the cement
truck
noise..

When we moved to TX, we spent a week at my brother's in law house, waiting
for our house to be ready. They had a beautiful Australian Shepherd (Max) who
was the greatest dog.....until a thunderstorm will start.  They had to  sedate
him, crate him in this big metal crate (he had broken thru two  VariKennels)
and watch him constantly, to make sure he didn't injure  himself.  It was
heartbreaking to watch. We had two storms that week, and I  almost lost it,
watching this poor dogs's misery.

We had CH BlockBuster with us, and Max and Buster spend the week together,
my inlaws hoping Max will benefit from Busters temperament. Not possible in
only  a week, and with an adult dog, but the dogs did enjoy themselves for a
week.  Buster didn't care about the storms, as he didn't care about the
fireworks, or gun shots.  He was a real trooper.

Which dog you think was more suitable to work the field?  Or be a  guide dog?
 Or a Search and Rescue Dog?  Or a K-9 dog?

To their credit, Max's breeders consented to his neutering, they didn't  want
to breed on this kind of faulty temperament.

My brother in law lost Max just a few months later. They didn't get home in
time before a storm, Max jumped thru a window and got killed by a car.  My
two nephews still miss him.

I don't ever want to have to deal with that.

Ileana
Chance favors the prepared  mind