[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: a walk in the park

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: utter227@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:10:17 EST

In a message dated 11/17/2004 8:24:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
utter227@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> So if a gsd is to stand and allow any of these different types of
> strangers come and pat him or whatever they want to do, I'd say you are
> dealing with a trained response and not a natural instinctive
> temperament.   And what good is that?

What good is that?  I'll tell you what good it is;
Much of what we ask our dogs to do on a daily basis isn't "natural", but a
trained response.  It's how they fit into our routines.

Showing dogs isn't "natural" to them, but they do it and (for the lucky ones)
we sometimes make it fun for them.  Having a stranger run their hands over a
puppy while it stands still, then look in their mouths and for the boys,
fondle their privates isn't "natural", but they learn to tolerate it.  By the
same
token, training your dog, "proofing" it, if you will to however some judge is
going to interpret our TE isn't "natural" either; but if you are going to take
the trouble to show your dog, I'd think you would like to win, and why take a
chance that an untrained dog would leave a bad impression on an uninformed
judge?  Worse, if you don't train (prepare) them and they have a bad experience
at the hands of an uniformed judge you really have your work cut out for you!

(Most of) our dogs are smart enough to discriminate between a judge doing
something weird in the middle of the ring and a real threat to us or our
property.  You don't take that out of them by training a certain response for
the show
ring, whatever venue you want to play in.  JMHO

Now, I think today after work I will put the Christmas trees up.  I will
teach the 5 month old boys that, although it may be "natural" to want to pee on
the trees, it's NOT allowed!

Kathy
visit  Pine Hill German Shepherd Dogs