[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: a sign of the times..

  • From: "Arcturus" <Arcturus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "thelist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 17:08:55 -0400

I should really go get supper started instead of posting, but I just have to
comment on this. Let me tell you about my first time at a Futurity/Speciality ,
 both Shepherd and Cardigan
At the Shepherd futurity I already knew a few people to start with so that
helped. I was introduced to about half a dozen people, most nodded and went on
their way. With the notable exception of Joan Segro who made a  point of
talking to me and asking about my dog...this was several years ago Joan!  My
dog placed 3rd in his class,  Joan congratulated me and that was about it.

At my first Cardigan speciality the only person I knew was the breeder of my
dog. When we arrived my breeder introduced me all around to people who were
interested in me and what puppy I had. Then they discussed if they should have
lunch first or the show.  Since it was a pot-luck lunch and there were hot
foods it was decided to eat first. While we were eating, people came up and
re-introduced themselves and sat down and talked about the Corgis.  During
lunch a friend of mine, along with her German Shepherd happen by.  She had seen
all the Corgis while out for a walk with her dog. People all around me said
"tell her to come in"  They asked if she had lunch and before she could say yes
or no, someone had set a plate with a hamburger on it in front of her.  She ate
lunch with us, everyone came over to pet her Shepherd and ask about him and sat
down to talk.  When everyone had eaten ( inclucing desert!)  we all got up,
cleaned up the area and had our show.  It was a happy day for the dogs as well
as the owners. The last class in the show was what they called "The Champion in
my heart class".  It was for dogs who, while not champions of record, had
earned honor in some way.  Some were therapy dogs, some were old and valued
companions, some were dogs that never finished, and one or two were dogs that
had serious health issues. There wasn't a dry eye anywhere.  My friend with the
GSD commented " Can you imagine anything like this at a GSD speciality?"
   SueT