[ SHOWGSD-L ] a new way of looking at pet overpopulation

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <GSDCALegislative@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:19:37 -0400

   Permission to forward and crosspost is given by the author (Sherry
Wallis) so long
as her name and information remain attached............

   this probably needs to be handed to every AR minded legislator, too!
     shared by Peggy

  PETA
  Since the underlying stated purpose of its leaders is to end the
  existence of pets and they've cleverly couched it in the guise of animal
  welfare, they believe that ANY publicity is good for their cause.  And I
  have to say, they may be right.

  Someone called me last week from E. Texas about not being able to keep
  her dogs.  One she got from a big flea market and the other came from a
  friend of a friend.  During the course of the conversation where I
  basically told her that I could not just drive up from Houston and take
  her dogs off her hands, she commented on the pet overpopulation problem
  and all these terrible breeders who are just after people's money.  I
  very carefully explained to her that while the breeders of her dogs
  might not have been the most scrupulous, they could hardly be blamed for
  selling her a dog.

  She clearly didn't understand my point, and actually asked me to
  explain.  I pointed out that the breeders of her dogs hadn't taken them
  as puppies to an animal shelter but had put them into homes.  If the
  people in those homes couldn't or wouldn't care for the dogs, that
  wasn't entirely their fault.  In short, I explained, the problem isn't
  so much with overpopulation as it is with irresponsible owners.  In
  other words, I went on, you are the problem.

  She wasn't really upset so much as confused because she really hadn't
  thought that way.  Well, why think of yourself in a poor light?  So PETA
  is so successful in their attack on breeders that even the people who
  are the problem blame the breeder. WOW!

  Sherry E Wallis
  www.sherob.com
  sherry@xxxxxxxxxx