[ SHOWGSD-L ] a new question on a previous thread

  • From: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 14:00:34 -0500 (EST)

The GSD standard is clear and AKC rules and regs are (sort of) clear; they
leave little room for confusion re showing/judging a neutered dog.
Neuticals aside, (and that's a whole other subject), there is little room for
debate re a dog being "whole" or not.  But that made me wonder ... how many
spayed bitches are being shown?  Unlike the males, those girls have no
obvious signs of their reproductive status so how is a judge to know?  And
THAT
got me thinking again ... a dangerous thing.

What about those dogs who are shown with fixed ears, tails, bites, enhanced
 color etc?  Those are true cover-ups and do the breed no good  whatsoever.
 But it gets worse.  What about dogs who have or have had  serious health
issues which have been surgically corrected and/or  prevented?  I am
especially referring to gastric B/T and/or preventative  gastropexy being done
prevent B/T?  Rules may be rules but, good grief,  don't we have some moral
obligation to the breed?  A dog who has or has had  a major health issue like
B/T should, IMHO, not be promoted, bred or stood at  stud so why would they
continue to be shown?

Just curious,

Diane