[ SHOWGSD-L ] a new idea

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd list <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 17:23:03 -0400

With permission to forward, I share with you this idea from Jo Patrick, AKC
delegate from the Schipperke
Club of America.  Please read it and consider implementing the idea at your
local shows.
I like to think that AKC will jump on board with this quickly, but....
Jo said "Please feel free, absolutely, to pass it on.  I look forward to it
being freely used."
 shared by Peggy

I thought I would take the opportunity to pass on some thoughts
regarding the increasing anti-dog legislation and possible positive tactics. I
personally think that boycotting the Eukanuba show and the Long Beach shows is
a mistake. First, you can only make your
presence known if you are present. We have to let the city know that we will
always
be there and will not go away.
        This past April I was show chair for the Schipperke Club of America. I
decided that it might make a positive influence if we printed a positive
statement on the back
of the armbands. Rau Dog shows, our Superintendent, assisted us in this
endeavor and had the statement
printed on the back of every armband. I requested that the exhibitors turn in
their armbands
daily after the classes were finished. After the close of our National, the
armbands were sent
to the Mayor of Frederick, MD. The Mayor also received an invitation to our
National.
Included in this invitation was a brief history of our breed and a picture of
the Schipperke.

        Now, if all Superintendents, Show Secretaries, etc. printed this
statement,
or one like it - just imagine. There would be a new job created, "Armband
Chair",
who would be responsible for sending the turned-in arm bands to the Mayor,
Governor or other
appropriate elected officials. These officials might begin to take our presence
seriously.
Imagine if at the Long Beach shows prior to the Eukanuba show,
all armbands were collected by the show-giving club and then sent to the local
officials.
On the reverse side of these armbands would contain a statement as to how much
money each exhibitor
spent that day (hotel, meals, travel etc.) how much they enjoyed the City.
Those officials might begin to realize how much we contribute to their economy.

        In addition, we need to stay active in our communities. We have to be
pro active in such a way that others
remember our contribution regarding dogs and the community in a positive way.
Threats
and harsh statements do not work. Now, I also believe that it is not harsh,
just realistic, to let the non-
supportive officials know that they will not be receiving any subsequent votes.
We campaign for the person that will regard us with respect. ....  Can you
imagine the city, county or
state officials getting armbands every weekend? Just imagine their desk-tops!
Permission is given to copy and use.

Jo Patrick
Schipperke Club of America Delegate