[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: a gathering storm

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Arcturus@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "thelist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 05:41:03 -0700

 This is Dr. Carmen Battaglia piece written for the Canine Chronicle that
was posted the other day. He writes how limited registration has reduced the
number of breeders and litters and now threatens the gene pool. I have to
say this sounds like a propaganda piece for the " registration declining,
less money earning AKC" .  Granted the puppy millers are breeding away, but
us reputable people are not. Unfortunately for the AKC its good reputation
rests on the backs of those of us who are showing and being reputable
breeders. The AKC continues to be the biggest supporter of the puppy mill
business, and I for one don't care to hear their whining.  The puppy mill
situtation is wrong no matter how its presented.  JMO SueT

Hi Sue...

While your expressed concerns are real...the article is really about the
ARO's and how they have been able to get the fancy to accept Limited
Registration as part of being a "Responsible Breeder". He is saying we are
"responsibly breeding ourselves right out of existence".

Limited Registration is also another very important factor in reduced
participation in the show and futurity systems. For example...our good
friends Jack Macri and his late wife Carol bought their dog and hadn't
thought of showing. Their dog Gus was also a monorchid and the testicle
descended. They took him back to the breeder right before they were going to
have him neutered only to discover they had a really fine show dog there.
Gus finished in 7 shows and they went on to breed more good dogs and it was
Carol's faith in our George Michael dog that gave us our top producing
Brando.

My point being is that today we would most likely have sold Jack and Carol
Gus on a "limited registration" and the above point would be moot.

Carmen's article is right on target and it looks like some of the powers are
starting to tell it like it is and give the ARO's back what they've been
giving us for the past 20 years.

It's an excellent article and one I saved.

Paul