[ SHOWGSD-L ] a dog called Boss...long

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 07:06:29 -0700 (PDT)

....I first saw Boss at my first National in Burbank CA in 1995...I knew no one
in dogs at that time except Janice Staley who I had purchased a pet puppy from
some ten years earlier...I did not have show dogs, but because of age (40) and
health reasons I decided that I would no longer train protection dogs...then
six months or so later I saw a Review ad with Marhaven's Color Guard going BOB
in Chicago under Janice Staley..I called Janice on the phone and asked her who
that dog was!...I told Janice that I wanted a dog out of him...Janice reminded
me that " I don't show dogs"...Janice reminded me of my statement that I would
never be caught running outside of a show ring acting silly trying to get my
dog's attention...( those words came back to bite me)..in August of 96 my wife
and I were planning a trip to Canada... as I'm reading my Review in the "want
ads" there is a woman from Canada, Audrey Marsh selling a show litter sired by
this Color Guard dog (had no idea what his
 call name was at that time)..I called this English accented charming woman on
the phone and arraigned to visit her home on Vancouver Island during my stay in
Canada...not knowing anything about show puppies I fell in love with two of the
males, I really wanted the pick bitch but she was already spoken for...so I
bought one of the males and promised Ms Marsh that I would show him!....a few
months later I called Audrey Marsh to tell her how wonderful this "Boss" son
was. Audrey told me that the folks who were going to buy the pick bitch backed
out and If I wanted her I could get her...I did...later at my second National
in Perry GA. this "Boss" son won his class under Ms Amidon...I did not think I
could ever be more excited at a dog show...I was wrong...a few days later a dog
called "Boss" was entered in Specials...as my wife and I were walking around
the show grounds early that wonderful Saturday morning we saw Carolyn and Frank
bathing and getting "Boss" ready.....my wife
 looked at me and said..."I think he is going to win"...Italian women are
different from normal women...they seem to know things...later that
afternoon..."a dog called Boss" under Mr. Rinke goes Grand Victor...the rest is
history.....let me tell you something else..I have heard people say ..."its
just a dog"...well...those folks never saw  a dog called Boss....his presence,
charisma and attitude commands your attention..yes I know we need to be careful
when placing human terms on animals, but Boss was different ( forgot what the
word is called..I'm emotional right now)...a dog called Boss is the ":Barry
Bonds" of the dog world in my eyes..a dog called Boss is the reason I showed
dogs....every now and then I see a few dogs that remind me of Boss....but Boss
reminds me of no other dog I have ever seen....If you never got to see this
magnificent creature live and in color ....you truly missed something
special..Carolyn ,Frank, and Doris...your loss is our loss........good
 night Boss.................Ed