[ SHOWGSD-L ] a MUST READ - PAWS

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GSD Show List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:49:00 -0400

   This is crossposted with permission.  I know the writer
personally...and while this is only an opinion, it is an INFORMED
opinion, and puts PAWS and all its warts out before us plainly.  Please
read it...and give some thought to joining the fight against this
terrible Bill.
Peggy

As one who has now spent DECADES in the trenches, in courts
> [...]
 > > our history, it has been shown that once a bureaucracy gains a certain
 > > 'power' over any segment of the population it is loathe to relinquish
 > > it. No, in fact, over time it tends to become MORE restrictive, never
 > > less. It works like this:
 > >
 > > If you can make a case that it is 'in the public good' to regulate
 > > what private people can do in their private homes, then you have
 > > established the government's *right* to restrict that activity TO ANY
 > > DEGREE WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING CONDEMNING IT ENTIRELY.
 > >
 > > That's right. Many want to ridicule the actions of the NRA in
 > > resisting what even most of us would consider 'reasonable'
 > > restrictions on gun owners; but their adamant resistance has a logical
 > > core: Any restriction agreed to, no matter how slight, establishes
 > > that the government has a RIGHT to restrict. And that gives them legal
 > > grounds, the next time there is a senseless tragedy, to do a knee-jerk
 > > reaction using the previous, 'reasonable' limits as a springboard to
 > > tighten those limits. It is not ridiculous obstructionism; it is the
 > > only defense against creeping regulation. Because the end result is
 > > the same as if you simply agreed to outlawing guns (or any other
 > > endeavor, including dog breeding.) It is just a longer road to the
 > > same painful conclusion. > >
 > > I won't even bother to point out all the problems in this concept, for
 > > example those of you who co-own bitches with others; how does the
 > > GOVERNMENT know where the bitch resides when she has those litters?!
 > > You can get up over that 7 litter limit real fast in a toy breed if
 > > you have multiple co-owners....  Others have already made those
 > > arguments against PAWS, and others even more compelling. No, the real
 > > danger is this: If it is 'in the public interest' to restrict us to 7
 > > litters a year, what makes you think that over time, someone won't
 > > decide that is too much, and it becomes 5? 3? 1?!!
 > >
 > > Trust me, this is EXACTLY what PeTA and DDAL are aiming for. They will
 > > be tickled pink if this happens because they have their foot in the
 > > door and will continue until they finally get what they want. You
 > > think it will 'never happen?' Well, gee, how many of you saw THIS
 > > coming? 20 years ago I would NEVER have believed that AKC would buy
 > > into something like this. But they did! You know why they can now?
 > > Because enough of us have been infected with the odious mindset that
 > > we are somehow 'responsible' for ALL of dogdom's ills that we almost
 > > accept these kinds of restrictions as penance for our sins. Deep in
 > > our hearts, we have this seed of doubt: I find my dog breeding
 > > pleasurable, but at what cost? Look at all those poor little puppy
 > > mill faces. It's MY FAULT. I must atone.... THIS is where it starts.
 > > THIS is where it lives! And over time, as the faces in the pound do
 > > not go away, why it will be reasoned that 7 litters must be too many
 > > (nevermind that the COMMERCIAL establishments  will go right on
cranking out their dreck in the meantime) and the restrictions will get
a little tighter.

 > > THEY WILL, if we give them this precedent at all!! Oh, no; it won't be
 > > tomorrow, or the week after that; but it WILL happen. JUST like those
 > > who sneered that BSL was only something 'pit bull' breeders needed to
 > > be worried about: do you still believe that too?! Case in point.
 > >
 > > This may well become the biggest fight of our lives, guys. Are you
 > > afraid of PeTA and DDAL? YOU SHOULD BE. And the fear should go deeper
 > > than that. As a group, we NEED to be condemning these people who want
 > > to destroy our way of life. We need to take it seriously. We need to
 > > stop wringing our hands and saying, "How awful!"; we need to be
 > > getting on the stick and developing a plan of our OWN to combat them,
 > > instead of forever REacting to their latest stunt. We need to be
 > > generously pouring money into educating the public about these twisted
 > > whackos, so they STOP giving them money. There are enough of us, and
 > > OUR rights are every bit as precious as those of the DDAL and PeTA
 > > members. And we vote, too. Our leaders need to be forcibly reminded of
 > > that! If it came down to a vote today between the AR whackos and the
 > > rest of the pet owning populace, we *might* win it. Give them another
 > > generation to spread their poison, and we may well not.
Show of hands:    How many of you have bought into the