[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: a Bi Color with teeth....

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Edwin Hill" <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "freelist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:06:34 -0700

        Bi-colors can be tricky, hence the discussion and the different opinions
         All Bi-colors do not look alike just as all sables do not look
alike.....because of the other gene for color
        "incomplete dominence" plays a part in many variations in color
patterns...

        Can't argue that point.
        But I can disagree about BONO.........go to his photo on my site on the
opening page.
        If those aren't shadings and blendings of color on his elbow and upper
arm and stifle and
        'pantaloons'.........what then?  <G>
        BeBe may have produced a few ....but it still won't make BONO a
bi-color.  IMO.  <G>

        I also wonder if anyone else with the bi color and black factor being a
"factor"  in their breeding program
        are seeing any DARKER-BLACKER Blanket black and tans like we are
starting to get....similar to this
        point about BONO.    It's a definite color marking that we are getting
from our blacks .....when bred to a
        dog that does not carry the factor.....but they are not blacks and they
are not bi-colors.

        I can't even believe I got into this color discussion.    You can
however win the 'raw food war'..........<G>

        Wouldn't mind a big discussion on missing teeth either as there are
getting to be so many ...... and it is
        something I stay away from like the plague.    I DO know if you breed a
GSD with a missing tooth ....you
        WILL get it......if you breed one with two.......you WILL get a
few.......??
        It was a prevalent problem on the West Coast about 25 years
ago.......and I really have avoided it at all
        costs since.......but starting to see it again.

        Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        www.Marhaven.com

          From: Carolyn Martello <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: incorrect Information on a Bi Color
          To: genoaktortoise@xxxxxxxxxxx, edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
          Cc: floridacracker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "freelist"
<showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Date: Friday, July 10, 2009, 2:23 PM

          EH???    This is not true.    A true bi color does not have a gray
undercoat.
          A true bi color is just that.   BI......TWO ...colors.
BLACK.....with some tan "sharp"  cut off markings.   NO fading
          or blending into colors.   As Ed says....much like a Dobie or Rottie.
          My bi colors  ( G.V. BOSS included )  was solid black with NO
markings anywhere except under the tail and
          partially up his legs.     Have had a couple with some gray undercoat
and I personally do not consider them a
          true bi color as there is also often some other tiny shading or
blending of colors on the neck, chest, belly.....etc.
          At first glance they give you the 'impression'  of being a
bi-color....but truly are not.
          G.V. BONO was called a Bi Color by many....but having bred
him.......in my opinion he was not a true bi color.
          BONO  was  ( IMO )  a very dark blanket black and tan that carried
the black factor.
          I don't know that he ever produced any bi colors either???    Edie???