[ SHOWGSD-L ] Your First GSD And showing

  • From: genoaktortoise@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (german shepherd)
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 23:36:59 +0000

When I was fourteen one of our neighbors had a beautiful female GSD named Rena.

She was a police dog.  I was always over there playing with her.  I told my
father I want one just like Rena. So we went and looked at some GSD puppies. We
bought a little ten week old male black and tan. I named him Rocky. He lived to
be fourteen. I had a couple of more dogs after that. Then I bought a male pup
from a breeder.  She invited me to go to a dog show with her. It was my first
ever dog show. I remember asking her why are they running around in a circle?
And why are the same people always in the ring?  I went to a few dog shows to
watch and learned all about dog shows and how they worked. In 1989 I went to
Cleveland in December to watch the Western Reserve. Ann Schultz had this
georgous 9-12 puppy dog in the ring. He just sat there. He did not want to do
it
and he got last in his class.  I loved that puppy!  After the show was over a
friend of mine took me over to Ann and introduced me and i
t was then I told her I want to buy that 9-12 puppy that you showed today. Ann
arranged for me to meet the owner/breeder Beverly Wolfe who became one of my
best
friends ( she was tragically killed in an accident 2-1/2 years ago ).  A month
later that puppy was mine.  He was my first show dog and he finished quite
easily.  He was an Earth Wind & Fire son. After he finished I put a CD on him.
It took seven shows but we did it!  He is probably the nicest dog that I have
ever had in my whole life and I do not think that I will ever find another one
like him.  He had it all including the most awesome temperment. he was CH.
Levitation Very Elway, CD, TC, CGC, OFA, H & E.  My second dog that I showed I
picked out at 12 weeks. Once he reached 2-1/2 years old he finished very easily
also. He was CH. Eko-Lan's Harley D Merivern, CGC.  I have three dogs right now
but am not really thinking about showing any of them seriously.

Amy Greenhut
Justrock German Shepherds
Gen Oak Leopard Tortoises,  Tortoise Rescue