[ SHOWGSD-L ] You each get to pick

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 21:21:49 -0700

I agree with Evan....

The standard was made up by one guy a  long time
age. He was not Moses (not referring the Jimmy -
the older version, on the mountain and all), or
even God. He had an idea and it is now a hundred
years or more after his idea, and we can change
it. We do not have to fear change, be so
conservative as to think all change is bad, or
refuse to move forward.

With all that said, I am rewriting the standard as
I think it should be now, today, 2014 and for a
few more years into the future. This is a bold
step into the future and I hope no one fears
change and just writes this off as some liberal
fanatic playing with the destiny of our breed. You
will find my new and wonderful standard on the
GSDCA Web site under: Standard, or if you prefer
you can find it under GSD Standard on the AKC web
site.

See, we old conservatives can get over our fear,
jump into the present and move forward. I really
like my new standard, even though you might have
trouble finding any difference with the old one.
<Grin>
Dave

It  happened then as the old saying goes....
History Repeats  Itself!!!!!!

Can't we all realize that the Standard is a group
of arbitrary issues, decided by men, (and maybe a
woman to two), as to what we want the breed to be.
Von Stephanitz was not satisfied with what he saw
being shown, so he decided to change it, developed
a new breed, and determined what the Standard
would be.  He decided what was good, what was bad,
and what he, (and evidently only he), would
determine for the future. It was not a committee
decision, but one man.

In America we took that group of limitations and
goals, and modified it, and set our standard. Over
the years other club member have changed the
standard, and we even did it one time when I was
on the board.

It is a target. We accept the rules and then try
to reach that ideal.
When they change the rules, we adapt and then try
further.  If it gets  easier, it make more people
happy. If it gets harder, it makes some people
unhappy.  It is a personal choice.

But, it is what we chose to do. It does not make
us better people, it does not say anything about
who or what we are. It only tells us what we
decided to  do to enjoy part of life.

Those who think the Standard can never change, or
has to include or exclude  something, need to
determine for themselves when it no longer fits
their image,  then either do something else, or
suffer under the new restrictions or  acceptances.

We all want to succeed, but we need to know what
we can change, what we have to accept, and the
difference. (I just made that up to feel serene).

Evan

---
is active.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html