[ SHOWGSD-L ] Year's End Wishes and Thank You's

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 07:53:51 -0800 (PST)

With our quarterly Board of Directors meeting coming up, I found myself going
through donations, payments of bills to various veterinary clinics, dog food
purchases, etc. The smiles and stories of the dogs that have graced this desk
had begun to blur; overshadowed by the everyday operation of the organization
that was founded to help them.
 I decided to print out the list of dogs whose lives we have in some small way
helped to change; and who by their existance, have changed mine. Pages and
pages of dogs who, through the grace of many of you here, were given another
chance at the life they were MEANT to have. Shelby, Snow, MaggieRose, Brooke,
Larrissa..(how well I remember her,rheumy eyed, covered in mange and left in
the "night drop box"; defeated in life and awaiting her end, now enjoying the
green fields of her new home in North Carolina). Lenny, Faith, Molly and
Lakota...the three legged GSD whose is the crowned "kitten master" in permament
foster at Steve Reierstads in Maine. Eva, who came to Big Sky Farm and Carla
Brown on New Years Eve January of 09. Covered in mud and feces and tragically
underweight, she rewarded Carla by promptly giving birth to a litter of 12
puppies a scant twenty four hours later. All of Eva's puppies have gone on to
new homes; but poor Eva, blind in one eye
 and no longer a puppy is still waiting for her forever family...and who could
forget Maisie's pitiful face as she shoved herself as far back as she could in
her crate to avoid being hurt anymore? Through the efforts of Weeping Willow
Sanctuary Board Member Joe Maringo, Maisie gave birth to a litter of beautiful
puppies in a clean whelping box where she was shown loving care for probably
the first time in her life. Along side of the names of these wonderful
creatures and the benefactors who stepped in for them is the list of expenses
associated..."covered 100$ via paypal"..."donation sent for insulin for
Archie"..."Pd 150$ toward bill"..."sent 150$ towards medical bills for
puppies"....and it goes on...and on.
We at Last Hope, Safe Haven Inc. would like to take this opportunity to thank
all of those who have stood by our fledgling organization in one way or another
through these last 4 plus years. "You cannot direct the wind, but you can
adjust the sails"...and we have had to do some adjusting to accomodate our
mission. That being, to BE there with funds ready for the next GSD who is
facing his or her end alone and terrified. To share in some of the financial
burdens of the rescues as they do the yeomans job of extricating these hapless
souls and putting the light of life back into their eyes. To that point, our
new website is under construction and should be up and running again shortly.
We have made some changes, added some information that you may find
enlightening, and will post some of the photos of the dogs we have been honored
to have helped. We appreciate your patience at this time. Donations can still
be made via paypal at windwych@xxxxxxxxx or by
 snail mail to: LHSH PO Box 382, Yarmouthport MA 02675. If you would like to
make a donation in honor of someone, we will be glad to send the honoree a
letter in your name.
2012 will also bring many changes in my personal life. Some good....some more
challenging. I can only hope that we are blessed with the strength to continue
helping our beloved breed. Thank you to my Board of Directors; Diane Strasser,
Steve Reierstad and Amy Greehut for your input, passion and constant support.
And from the hundreds of dogs who in large part because of your generosity will
wake up to greet the New Year....
HAPPY NEW YEAR from the Team at Last Hope, Safe Haven Inc.