[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Yancy

  • From: Kathy Tank <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SegerWind@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 15:34:23 -0700

Steve you concerns are valid with bloat and torsion, however hemangio seems
to be on the rise. The terrible thing about it is once they are diagnosed
with it (
it can be a "silent" disease, three is nothing you can do.  You can have the
tumor removed, but I have never heard of a dog surviving more than six
months even
with surgery.  You'd be amazed at how many people have lost dogs to this...I
know I was.
My heart broke for Suzanne, I felt her pain to my core, as we lost our
beloved and irreplaceable "Ch. Nitro" a little over a year ago to
hemangio...almost an identical
scenario of "something was off", condition was off...he never stopped
playing or eating or romping or stealing or jumping on furniture, till his
last 24 hours.
Bloat and torsion you can often head off or even "fix" .  Many dogs survive
it.  Unless you are talking about mesenteric torsion.
Hemangio is so sneaky and so subtle, that by the time "Houston we've had a
problem" shows...it's too late.
There is no known cause, there is no known genetic contributor...for now it
just is....the damn thing just is.
 My heart and my profound sympathies to Suzanne.  Yancy was one helluva
representative of our great breed.
Kathy Tank
*http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com*<http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com/>
*Home of:

CH. Elvaston's Nations Cup TC, 26 BOBs
CH. Victory's Leviathan
CH. Garter's E-Male of Fran-Jo Anne Isle *
*
"Victory...*Vires et honestas"