[ SHOWGSD-L ] Wrong or right, both should be considered

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 00:33:09 EDT

In a message dated 7/7/2005 7:09:42 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Gsdman2@xxxxxxx writes:
When you give separate breed status, won't you be throwing those folks out of
 the breed?
Not according to the AKC. They say you can do both. Have a breed called
Blanco Swiss as they do in Europe and also have a breed of German shepherds
including ones that are white in color. The two breeds would not be allowed to
interbreed, however.

When this split occurs, and it has become obvious that you  intend to work
for
that, what will become of the black and tan dogs that  are born as the Blanco
Swiss? ''

First, I am not sure why anyone knows what I think. In truth, I have not
decided what is the best thing for either group.  I am, however, willing to
listen to all opinions, and then I will make up my mind. At this time I do not
have a position, other than to feel everyone has a right to their opinion.

What  penalty will be given to black and tan Blanco Swiss dogs in their
conformation ring?  What will happen with the white GSDs that are  born after
the split?

I have no idea as to these points, I would think it would be up to the
Parent Club of each breed.  The white GSDs would be governed by the  GSDCA.
The
Parent Club of the Blanco Swiss will set their standard, and  they will have to
deal with any problems. Why would anyone show a Black and Tan  in a Blanco
Swiss ring?  You might as well show in a Collie ring.  The  Blanco Swiss by
their
standard must be white.

Your compassion for the people who freely chose to ignore that  rule is
guiding your opinion.
I respect every person to have the right to their opinions, so long as they
do no harm to their animals, and find a way to respect each other.

Intentionally breeding white GSDs is not a crime against society in  general.
We do agree on something. Tom always provides us with ideas and theories.
His are of value and need to be considered. But, in the end, each of us needs
 make up our own minds.  I don't know what my decision will be, but yours is
the only one that matters, not mine.

Breed for the standard folks... or  you'll end up with no breed at all.

Again I agree. Each breed should breed to the standard set for that breed,
and not a standard for another breed. That may or may not become an issue. I
know we don't want to breed to the standard of the Blanco Swiss, and they don't
 want to breed to our standard.

Evan
_Asgard German  Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement  and Temperament come together