[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Worth a view

  • From: gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: "lindabankhead44@xxxxxxxxx" <lindabankhead44@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 11:24:24 -0400

Linda,

I agree. And...as always I respect and value your opinion highly! From what I
have experienced, I Think you are a great asset to the breed and I feel good
knowing you could be in a leadership position (for whatever that is worth). In
fact, if hadn't been to chicken, I would have approached you at one of the
Specialty shows I volunteered at to meet you. Such is life...I need to work on
my confidence!

I agree that there are problems in all lines. Just different problems for each
one!!!

But, I was talking about German WORKING LINES as having few pastern problems.

You posted a German SHOWLINE. I know when people hear "German" they think
SHOWLINE but I specifically said...WORKING LINE. The German SHOWLINE is the
type that some prominent American breeders cross with their American showdogs.
They are completely different than German WORKING LINES. The dogs you see in
Review representing the Sieger are SHOWLINES.

But, you helped prove my point that all dogs bred, SPECIFICALLY, for the
SHOWRING seem to have greater biomechanical faults.

I don't know why. Is it related to sidegait? Is it related to angulation? I
have also seen at shows...more dogs from conformation breeding who pace (I won
against one because it broke gait and couldn't stop pacing). Again...is it
related to the quest to achieve a bigger and better gait...I don't know.

I know as an example...my German working line bitch is up on her paws. I
couldn't get her pasterns to drop or her hocks to touch ground if I tried.
Incidentally, she also lacks the movement of the good American dogs. That's why
I wonder if it is GAIT related.

Again, the GSDs who are not bred for the SHOWRING do not seem to demonstrate
these particular faults as much as those bred for CONFORMATION.

However, lest anyone thinks I am only pointing things out for conformation
dogs...the working lines have their own problems. A lot have short forearms,
poor shoulders, poor extension, lack type, lack coat, have over the tops
drive.....they have lots of faults too. My only point was...for some reason and
in my own personal experience....I have not seen biomechanical issues in
anatomy or motion with these lines.
Maybe...it's due to the fact they are running, jumping, climbing, and tracking
daily. People cannot appreciate the physical stress put on IPO dogs until they
actually TRAIN IPO! I was astonished!! That's why...to see a dog at 8
representing the U.S. In International IPO competition is a true testament to
the soundness of the dog!!

It would be good if American conformation people tried to learn about
showlines, working lines, etc. I know I stepped out of my comfort zone and have
tried to learn about American Conformation lines. I have volunteered at
numerous specialty shows, attended all-breed shows when I found out Jimmy was
going to watch him handle (frantically taking notes) and to see the quality of
dogs. I even got to meet Captain Crunch which was AWESOME!! I talk to breeders
(and yes..shockingly...I shut my mouth and listen and take more notes). I flip
through all my old Reviews. I read Fred Lanting articles and try my best to
learn. It's a process. Ask questions! I promise you...someone is lurking on
this list who will give you great answers!!!

All lines have strengths and weaknesses....just different ones. But, ALL our
dogs are INCREDIBLE and I love them whatever line or color they are.

Sarah Minsk-Eduardo
Von Whitehall German Shepherds
"Preserving the classic
German Shepherd Dog"
Member of GSDCA and Signer of Breeders Code of Ethics

On Sep 11, 2015, at 10:42 AM, Linda Bankhead <lindabankhead44@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I have been reading with interest the subject of pasterns. This is not an
American VS American Statement.

Both countries have some dogs with weak pasterns. Both countries have top
dogs that could use better feet and pasterns.

Watch the attached video of Ballack von der Brucknerallee. He was the top
dog at The SV World show in Germany last weekend. I spoke with someone who
was at the show and they mentioned the dog could have stronger feet and
pasterns. (They also said the dogs character was wonderful)

I am not sharing this to rip apart German or American lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlFBrQB2qEc

--
Lindabankhead44@xxxxxxxxx