[ SHOWGSD-L ] Worth a read and some thought OT

  • From: EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 17:36:22 EDT

Subject: Worth a read and some thought

This  is worht a read and then some thought....think about  it!!!!
If  they know of him at all, many folks think Ben Stein is just a quirky
actor/comedian who talks in a monotone.  He's also a very intelligent  attorney
who knows how to put ideas and words together in such a way as to  sway juries
and make people think clearly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The  following was written by Ben Stein and recited by him on CBS Sunday
Morning  Commentary, Sunday, 12/18/05.

Herewith  at this happy time of year, a few confessions from my beating
heart: I have  no freaking clue who Nick and Jessica are. I see them on the
cover
of People  and Us constantly when I am buying my dog biscuits and kitty litter.
I often  ask the checkers at the grocery stores. They never know who Nick and
Jessica  are either. Who are they? Will it change my life if I know who they
are and  why they have broken up? Why are they so  important?

I  don't know who Lindsay Lohan is either, and I do not care at all about Tom
 Cruise's wife.

Am I going to be called before a Senate committee and  asked if I am a
subversive? Maybe, but I just have no clue who Nick and  Jessica are.

If  this is what it means to be no longer young. It's not  so  bad.

Next confession:
I am a Jew, and every single one of my  ancestors was Jewish. And it does not
bother me even a little bit when  people call those beautiful lit up,
bejeweled trees Christmas trees. I don't  feel threatened. I don't feel
discriminated
against. That's what they are:  Christmas trees.

It  doesn't bother me a bit when people say, "Merry Christmas" to me. I don't
 think they are slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto. In fact,
 I kind of like it. It shows that we are all brothers and sisters celebrating
 this happy time of year. It doesn't bother me at all that there is a manger
scene on display at a key intersection near my beach house  in  Malibu.  If
people want a creche, it's just as fine with me as is the  Menorah a few
hundred yards away.

I don't like getting pushed around  for being a Jew, and I don't think
Christians like getting pushed around for  being Christians. I think people who
believe in God are sick and tired of  getting pushed around, period. I have no
idea where the concept came from  that America is an explicitly atheist
country.
I can't find it in the  Constitution, and I don't like it being shoved down my
throat.

Or  maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come from that we
should  worship Nick and Jessica and we aren't allowed to worship God as we
understand Him?

I guess that's a sign that I'm getting old,  too.

But  there are a lot of us who are wondering where Nick and  Jessica came
from and where the America we knew went to.

In light of  the many jokes we send to one another for a laugh, this is a
little  different: This is not intended to be a joke; it's not funny, it's
intended  to get you thinking.

Billy Graham's daughter was interviewed on the  Early Show and Jane Clayson
asked her "How could God let something like this  Happen?" (regarding Katrina)

Anne Graham gave an extremely profound  and insightful response. She said, "I
believe God is deeply saddened by  this, just as we are, but for years we've
been telling God to get out of our  schools, to get out of our government and
to get out of our  lives.

And being the gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed  out. How can
we expect God to give us His blessing and His protection if we  demand He leave
us alone?"

In light of recent events...terrorists  attack, school shootings, etc. I
think it started when Madeleine Murray  O'Hare (she was murdered, her body
found
recently) complained she didn't  want prayer in our schools, and we said OK.

Then someone said you  better not read the Bible in school . the Bible says
thou shalt not kill,  thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbor as yourself.
 And we said  OK.

Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when  they
misbehave because their little personalities would be warped and we  might
damage
their self-esteem (Dr. Spock's son committed suicide).  We  said an expert
should know what he's talking about.  And we said  OK.

Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no conscience,  why they
don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn't bother them to kill  strangers,
their classmates, and  themselves.

Probably,  if we think about it long and hard enough, we can figure it out.
I  think it has a great deal to do with "WE REAP WHAT WE SOW."

Funny how  simple it is for people to trash God and then wonder why the
world's going  to hell.

Funny  how we believe what the newspapers say, but question what the Bible
says.

Funny how you can send 'jokes' through e-mail and they spread  like wildfire
but when you start sending messages regarding the Lord, people  think twice
about sharing.

Funny how lewd, crude, vulgar and obscene  articles pass freely through
cyberspace, but public discussion of God is  suppressed in the school and
workplace.

Are you  laughing?

Funny  how when you forward this message, you will not send it to many on
your  address list because you're not sure what they believe, or what they will

think of you for sending it.

Pass   it on if you think it has merit. If not then just discard it... no one
will  know you did.  But, if you discard this thought process, don't sit back
 and  complain about what bad shape the world is  in.

Enter the Windows Live Mail beta sweepstakes _Upgrade today_
(http://www.imagine-msn.com/minisites/sweepstakes/mail/register.aspx)