[ SHOWGSD-L ] Worming pregnant bitches

  • From: "Laurie Pruett" <pruett@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 08:09:38 -0500

It is my understanding that fenbendazole (panacur) is quite safe to use in
pregnant bitches.  I attended a reproductive seminar years ago at the sheltie
national and the vet who made the presentation told us that if you used panacur
daily during the last half of gestation you could prevent the migration from
the dam of round worm larvae across the placenta resulting in the birth of
worm-free puppies.  It's not something I've tried.

The same vet recommended worming puppies at 2 weeks of age before the
roundworms they were born with are mature enough to reproduce.  That is
something I now do routinely.

If the dam of your litter has ever had round worms she will pass them along to
her unborn puppies.  The roundworm larvae form cysts and embed themselves in
muscle tissue.  Something during pregnancy activates them and they migrate
across the placenta to infect the unborn litter.

That was my take-away from that seminar...

Laurie Pruett