[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Works every time

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: GSD list <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 17:38:03 -0700

Now I'll have to pull out the standard again, but I don't believe it
has specific performances delineated.  Here's what I just pulled from
the GSD Standard:  I like "approachable, quietly standing its ground
and showing confidnece and willingness to meet overtures without
itself making them."

    Now going to tear your head off, just standing there, quietly,
approachable.  Now Moxie and Dreamer had/have to bark a couple of
times and move toward the person, wanting treats and pets, but scaring
the heck out the the person.  NOT standing quietly.  We flunked that
one.  The rest of the dogs fit the standard.

Stormy

German Shepherd Dog Breed Standard Herding Group
General Appearance
The first impression of a good German Shepherd Dog is that of a
strong, agile, well muscled animal, alert and full of life. It is well
balanced, with harmonious development of the forequarter and
hindquarter. The dog is longer than tall, deep-bodied, and presents an
outline of smooth curves rather than angles. It looks substantial and
not spindly, giving the impression, both at rest and in motion, of
muscular fitness and nimbleness without any look of clumsiness or soft
living. The ideal dog is stamped with a look of quality and nobility--
difficult to define, but unmistakable when present. Secondary sex
characteristics are strongly marked, and every animal gives a definite
impression of masculinity or femininity, according to its sex.

Temperament
The breed has a distinct personality marked by direct and fearless,
but not hostile, expression, self-confidence and a certain aloofness
that does not lend itself to immediate and indiscriminate friendships.
The dog must be approachable, quietly standing its ground and showing
confidence and willingness to meet overtures without itself making
them. It is poised, but when the occasion demands, eager and alert;
both fit and willing to serve in its capacity as companion, watchdog,
blind leader, herding dog, or guardian, whichever the circumstances
may demand. The dog must not be timid, shrinking behind its master or
handler; it should not be nervous, looking about or upward with
anxious expression or showing nervous reactions, such as tucking of
tail, to strange sounds or sights. Lack of confidence under any
surroundings is not typical of good character. Any of the above
deficiencies in character which indicate shyness must be penalized as
very serious faults and any dog exhibiting pronounced indications of
these must be excused from the ring. It must be possible for the judge
to observe the teeth and to determine that both testicles are
descended. Any dog that attempts to bite the judge must be
disqualified. The ideal dog is a working animal with an incorruptible
character combined with body and gait suitable for the arduous work
that constitutes its primary purpose.