[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Work your dog's mind

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: gsdsforlife@xxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 23:52:25 EDT

In  7/9/2005 10:30:20 P.M. Central Standard Time, gsdsforlife@xxxxxxxx
writes:
I'm of  the opinion that as long as you work the mind of this oh so
intelligent dog in  whatever venue you choose, right on! Use that intelligent
mind.
What an utter  waste of a life if you don't.

Work the mind, work the mind, work the  mind. It is a beautiful thing when a
dog looks at you and "gets"  it!!

Colleen Donnelly

Colleen gets it.  I think the worse thing we can do to these dogs, any  dog
but GSD in specific, is to not include them in our daily lives.  To  limit them
to a kennel, or a crate, or a different area away from their  people.  Every
time I get a new foster we place bets to see if it knows how  to walk on tile,
or wood flooring or carpet.  It is the first single most  important thing
they have to learn.  They have to get across the house to  go out, or to get to
the kitchen to eat.  They never learned this  lesson.  So much natural training
goes into making them part of your  daily lives.  My dogs HAVE to sit before
they get their food.  They  HAVE to wait when I am opening a door.  They
understand what I want from  them, they get it!  They know is a major NO-NO to
lift
the leg in the house  or to chase the cats. They learn this by daily
interaction, not by  mechanical training. It is repetition, but not repetitive.
Breeds
that  are this intelligent learn so easy and are done such a disservice when
excluded.

My best dog ever was a very small German Shepherd bitch. Terrible  hips,
small little girl.
She is the mold I use to compare other dogs to when it comes to
intelligence, loyalty, trainability and heart.

She never had a title at either end.  To us she was just The  Queen.  And
remains so.

Ileana