[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Work your dog's mind

  • From: Colleen Donnelly <gsdsforlife@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx, susan-sullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 23:29:23 -0400 (EDT)

This whole "argument" started by someone stating an OPINION about this
wonderful breed. That opinion was why not work this working breed. Why not get
the heck out there and let them show that they can indeed work. It was NOT an
accusation, it was an opinion/thought.

Some have the time, and they do it. Others are booked up, and they can't.

I'm of the opinion that as long as you work the mind of this oh so intelligent
dog in whatever venue you choose, right on! Use that intelligent mind. What an
utter waste of a life if you don't.

Work the mind, work the mind, work the mind. It is a beautiful thing when a dog
looks at you and "gets" it!!

I have a rescue pup that came to me at approx? 6 months old. He learned how to
sit and behave from the other guys in 1 day. Yep, he parked his arse down for
that liver bit. It took him a bit to grasp "heel" ( he preferred to herd me
from behind ) but the moment he got it, a light went on. Damn! It's a beautiful
thing! Work the mind.

Colleen Donnelly

InquestGSD@xxxxxxx wrote:

Most people on THIS list are confirmation enthusiasts. If that is a
problem, you can always leave this list and join a working list. I bet you
won't
see us there pretending we know what we are talking about. I don't need a
title to validate my dogs for me. On either end. I like to show in the breed
ring. My dogs are trained to my satisfaction. If I went by your rationale,
all working dogs without a CH in front are worthless. I happen to know that is
not true. You come across small minded.

JMO

Ileana

In 7/8/2005 7:46:05 P.M. Central Standard Time, susan-sullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
writes:
Using the "I don't have time" reason is pretty pathetic for not working a
dog. Yes it may take a great deal of time to do herding (driving to the farm,
not the actual training time...one can put an HT or PT on in less than six
lessons with most dogs) or tracking or even agility, but good heavens, you can
spend 15 minutes a day for three days a week and get a CD. And if you can't,
the dog is either not very trainable or the handler is totally incompetent
and probably shouldn't be allowed out on the street without supervision! You
don't have to even be slightly physically fit to do a CD. I've seen people in
wheelchairs and with oxygen strapped to them to be able to breath get CDs,
and Novice Rally is even easier for heaven's sake!
Most people on this list don't want to do performance or they would already
be doing something else with their dogs. That is their prerogative. But
don't tell me that time is the problem. That is an excuse.
Susan

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG BREED BETTERMENT REGISTRY

The only way to understand & estimate the nature of the dog is to study his
whole development. Such a task requires a sympathetic, dog-loving observer, who
tries as far as possible to enter into the innermost mind of the dog, and who
will know how to short-circuit all his purely human points of view. --Max von
Stephanitz

http://mail.yahoo.com