[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Wonderful posts from many of you/from another side

  • From: "Beryl" <arelee_1020@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 18:49:07 -0700

Listers, there are so many wonderful posts from many of you. Some of you do the
same or similar things that my husband and I did over the years.
We always had a reservation list, with preference listed male/female, pet
companion,  etc.
We would advise people when the pups were born, when we would know which ones
would be available as pets/companions after their vet check and first
vaccinations etc. When those pet pups left at 8-10 weeks, they left with
instructions, food, vaccination and vet check records, blue slip, pedigree etc.
And we always took a picture. They loved having the photo, and so did we as we
could see the pride and love in the new owners face.
We always kept track of our puppy buyers and their pup. We encouraged  them to
visit us. We would usually make a visit to their home within the first 5-8
weeks after they left us.
One thing that we did for several years was have an annual Arelee picnic.
We invited everyone in the area we had sold a dog to. We made previous
arrangements for a park not to far from our house, sent everyone an invitation
that included "bring your dog, meet his/her littermates." A majority of them
would come.
The wonderful thing about this was, we could see littermates together. We could
evaluate progress in general, how the teething was going for the 5-6 month
olds, the care they had been receiving, too fat, too thin, temperament,
sometimes give tips on toenails, grooming, behavior etc.
But do you know what the best part was, aside from us being able to see
progress, or possible things we wanted to watch etc. ?
The best thing was to see how these owners were convinced that their dog was
the best puppy or young adult there. We could see that the pups  and the young
adults were really loved and cared for well, sometimes "to well" by the width
of their loin !
Occasionally we would see a young dog that appeared to have more potential than
we thought previously. Some of those owners became interested in showing. One
that was "rediscovered" at the picnic did finish his Championship in the all
breed ring.
Lots of years and lots of memories since our first litter of 11 in 1967. I
remember so well the reaction of both myself and my husband, adding those 11 to
our almost finished bitch and an older CDX monorchid....we both looked at each
other and said OMG...we have 13 German Shepherds !
Those were the days my friends.....I thought they would never end .

Beryl Eshom
Arelee GSD
Davis, CA.