[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Without sin

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd0110@xxxxxxx, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 12:59:34 -0800 (PST)

tell like it is!...thanks...Ed
--- On Wed, 12/17/08, gsd0110@xxxxxxx <gsd0110@xxxxxxx> wrote:

From: gsd0110@xxxxxxx <gsd0110@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Without sin
To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wednesday, December 17, 2008, 3:19 PM

I am glad to know that there are so many of us without sin... perfect kennel
management, perfect record keeping, perfect vaccination schedules...Those of us
without sin can cast stones at any number of other breeders who don't live
up to our exacting standards
Oh crap..... I looked out yesterday in my back yard and my sons?dog was running
loose... I had a ground cave-in under my perimeter fence, caused by all the rain
and she had torn a hole in her chain link... apparently smelling escape....AND
?because I had no new chain link readily available... I repaired the hole with
stockade fencing... It is NOT pretty but it keeps her in.... it is NOT the only
stockade fencing on my kennel runs....

And although?we clean? 2x a day.... I'll just about BET you could find a
cob web or two... especially since I have so many empty runs and if a dog
isn't in there I fall short on perfect maintainance.? I am sure there is no
one else that does that... call it a character flaw.? NOT ONLY THAT BUT MY 13
WEEK OLD PUPPY HAS YET TO RECEIVE HER RABIES SHOT.? Shoot me.

I have bred MANY dogs that weren't OFA'd.? I have never had a dog that
limped, was gimpy, stove up or crippled from hip or elbow dysplacia. (I am
knocking on wood as I type).? So possibly, I don't place enough emphasis on
OFA certification.? No puppies I have ever bred have been returned for limping
or crippling from dysplacia and EVERY puppy buyer is told UP FRONT that their
puppy can be returned for ANY reason, at any time, during it's life.? Some
have had pano... (which is an excellent reason for me to x-ray).

I have had buyers, many times, tell me up front that if their dog did not OFA
at 2 years I would be getting him/her back.... My answer has always been
"fine".? All those dogs have OFA'D (May be just luck).

I have had one dog returned for being too tough (he?became a police dog in AL
after that).... one replaced for a heart murmur that eventually claimed his life
(I gave them a replacement before his demise and they chose to keep him) and a
few returned because the owners circumstances changed and they could no longer
keep him/her.? I have replaced a dog who died of mesenteric torsion....

I try and do my homework when I breed dogs but I don't have every
diagnostic test known to man done on each and every breeding.? I have only done
one progesterone test (because the stud dog owner was adamant about it).? I
hardly ever do more than one breeding on my bitches (one is as good as ten if
everything is right) and so I do occasionally have small litters.? But I RARELY
miss a bitch.

I?realize that many breeders who are without sin can ?find any number of things
to crucify my breeding program for..... But, believe me, ?for the numbers I
breed I am PROUD of my dogs and my program.

That being said, there are any number of things I see other breeders do that I
don't agree with....BUT (as I have said before) since I am not without sin,
I can't afford to throw stones. I try never to crucify any individual
breeder or attack anyone personally.? I ASSUME that most people breeding dogs do
what is best according to their knowledge and circumstances.? If I am wrong...
shoot me again I wasn't dead the first time.

I am extremely happy that Joe Biden chose a German Shepherd Dog.... I hope that
puppy lives to be 18 years old with no problems until he dies peacfully in his
sleep.? I don't think Joe Biden owes our club or any of it's charities
one cent (even though MUCH to the dismay of my friend Paula I have always voted
Republican).? And I SINCERLY hope every puppy that lady produces is as handsome
as Joe's puppy.

"Glass House" Gary Lewis

MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS PERMISSION
OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN, AND
IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.