[ SHOWGSD-L ] Withholds Ribbons

  • From: "BlackHawkFarms LLC" <blackhawkfarmsllc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 13:41:33 -0800

Hi all,
actually, I think its a good thing when the entries lack merit and more
judges should have the balls to do so.

When I judged horses, I have only withheld ribbons only twice. Once in a
spotted saddle horse class where of the 16 horse not ONE single horse gave
me a correct gait either way of the ring, so when my ribbon girl came up
with the ribbons, I made a point to take 1-4 off the bracket, started the
class at 5 and gave an oral critique at the microphone. The other time was
in a large equitation class (which is near and dear to my heart) in florida
where they were "riding to get a ribbon and did not equitate) so I started
the class off at 3rd place. In horses, this means you cannot show back in
the championship classes as I didnt feel any of the kids riding has the
skills and horsemanship (or turn out) to be considered an equitation
champion.

This year, in dogs, I had a class Bichon Frise. He was a pet. I told the
owner, but they still wanted him shown. Granted, he had a great show
attitude and a lot of of white hair. (  I had to trim this dogs underline
with a 15 blade), not ONE judge withheld on the dog and they should have.  I
did have an instance in Southern CA where he was the only class dog and
there were 14 class bitches and the judge looked at me for the breed and
said, "Honey, I love you, but even I cant do this..." . I just smiled and
said, "neither could I"...

I did manage to put 6 points on the dog before they decided to stop. And
here I was planning a trip to puerto rico with pups to get those majors! LOL

Mike