[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Withholding Ribbons and Judging assignments (the Answer)

  • From: "M. Mike Lynch" <cccaudiology@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 15:40:48 -0800 (PST)

Hi Mr. M,

  The answer, in my opinion, is that it wasn't the popular thing to do and no
show manager wants to take the "gutless" risk of their show getting a low entry
or coming up in the red. Sometimes people didn't have courage in the face of
their convictions. But if the situation merits it then damnit.. I WOULD WITHOLD
.

  I have been on  both sides of this coin as a Handler and a Horse show judge.
I had some very nice people bring me an "Airedale" (note use of quotations) to
show at a local show in Alabama. Being a handler, I needed the paycheck but was
honest enough to tell them I didn't think the dog could be finished. (NO, I
didn't tell them I didn't think he was "purebred"). They said OK but wanted to
show anyways. So I stripped the dog and entered him and went to the show. The
AKC judge looked at the dog and looked at me and said, "This ain't no
Airedale".. I kept my head down and just said, "the AKC slip says he is". She
sent him around, then came back and placed him second in the singleton entry.
At first I was upset, but as I looked at it, even I thought the dog was not
purebred, let alone "lacked quality". So I understood, the people understood,
saved their money and bought a new dog.

  In the horse show ring, I was judging a pretty prestigious show in Virgina.
Had about 200 horses entered. Anyone who knows me, knows I'm a very staunch
supporter of Equitation and the Equitation classes (Classes for riding). In
this one class, I turned to my ring stewards to assure myself, "This is an
equitation class, right?" She said yes. The horses were out of control, the
riders were sloppy and neither rider in the class was turned out properly for
the class. Actually I was offended and walked up to the ribbon girl and asked
for a 3rd 4th and 5th. Then I placed the class and before I heard any of the
Moans of their trainers, I went right up to the Microphone and explained why I
started the class 3-5.  Which actually received some applause! (but when I got
to my rental car, my tires were flattened)

  It comes up each year at our horse show judges clinic.. to withhold and not
withhold. Ive been in scenarios where I'm at a local small show and VERY SINGLE
RIDER has some type of tack or rule infringement.. and yes, I do have the right
to excuse and disqualify every rider and withold the ribbons. However, our
rules are written to look at the "big picture"... just for scenarios like that.
Sure, the rules are there to be enforced, but the reality is Not everyone has
the same level of sophistication nor has everyone read and interpreted the
rules.  Also, I'm very forgiving in Kid/ Novice Rider classes. You try to
withold a ribbon on a kids class and see if you make it out alive!!!! :-)

  However, I think dog showing should be more like horse showing. I think they
should actually give ORAL reasoning as to WHY they placed the class.. "And 'I
just like the uther'un better" ain't good enough. Although at horse and dog
shows we are suppose to be looking breeding stock and if you took 3 minutes to
explain to ringside and the exhibitors WHY you are doing something... rather
that keeping your mouth shut and leaving them to decide the answer... which is
usually "That Judge is an (*&(* and they didnt know anything... usually goes a
long way.

  Yes, its a "straddling the fence" answer, but we are empowered to make
decisions to interpret the rules, yet you are furthered empowered to make any
negative scenario a positive one.

  Mike Lynch
  (and I actually spelled checked this email!!!)

www.BlackHawk-Farms.com
Northern California American Saddlebred Horse Association
Vice President (Class of 2007)

Yahoo! Mail