[ SHOWGSD-L ] Withholding Ribbons and Judging assignments

  • From: MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 14:35:37 EST

I was talking to somebody about an all breed show my home club had last year,
and she was watching the Shepherds being judged.  She asked the judge how
they felt about the dogs entered, and her response was that they were all
dysplastic.  When she then asked the judge why she didn't withhold ribbons, the
judge
responded in kind "If I withhold ribbons, I don't get assignments."
So, my question is this: If a judge withholds ribbons, and they don't get
anymore assignments, is it because they are a bad judge, or because people just
didn't like it that a judge dared tell them that their prize winning dog isn't
worthy of a ribbon?  It would stand to reason that if the dog has won before
it is a good dog, but we all know that isn't the case all the time.  For all we
know, the dog only got a ribbon because the judge wanted to continue judging,
instead of being dumped because they didn't award ribbons to what they felt
was an unqualified group of animals.

Are we possibly depriving ourselves of a truly GOOD judge, just because we
aren't pleased with the fact that they didn't like the dogs that were presented
to them?

You're welcome to respond privately or to the list, but please, let's not
make this an "all breed judge vs breeder judge" thing.

- Jackie

Marcato Shepherds
Where it's about function, not flash