[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Winners now gambling..??

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>, zgrace_grace@xxxxxxxxx, MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 13:54:21 -0600

I also agree with Carolyn on this. IF you know your bloodlines and know how
youngsters develop..you can select puppies at a relatively young age. I
RARELY keep puppies past 14 weeks of age unless I think they are show
prospects. Yes, there are still some hurdles.but.for the most part I have
always chosen correctly. Steve and I make our own evaluations of puppies
and always have. When GVX Godiva was sold on co-ownership..she was 14mos
old..had just won her fut class..had no points. She was not ever shown
until 14mos of age because she looked like a farm dog through her puppy
hood! I wonder how many people would have toughed it through those stages
and held onto her when she looked rather ugly! However..since I know our
lines..and knew how Bull progeny developed..I kept in mind that she had
movement during the ages that we make my evaluations.
With all this said..I have seen some puppies that newbies have
purchased..why they purchased them I am not certain. Many are purchased
from breeders who have not proven they can breed a top winning dog..many
are purchased through handlers who often are not so good at puppy
evaluation or are trying to move a puppy to make a their cut. Many newbies
purchase spontaneously..without much research involved because the newbie
wants it NOW. Here is a news flash..great dogs don't happen over
night..that is why they are called "stars". It would seem to reason if you
want a great one..the chances of getting a great one would be greater if
you buy from those who have produced a great one, or two, or
three..wouldn't it? So my question to newbies is..why don't you do this?
Christine

<showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 12/16/2006 2:42:17 AM
> Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Winners now gambling..??
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: Grace Eaton To: MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx ;
showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   I'm a newbie and I've learned a "show prospect puppy" is ALWAYS a
gamble. One I'm willing to take BECAUSE...the ONLY SUREFIRE way to buy a
show dog is to buy one older and POINTED. Good

*****
>   I don't necessarily agree with this.   Most breeders know their lines
enough to be pretty sure
>   when they've got a real show puppy.    Obviously things can go wrong on
a young puppy....but
>   things can go wrong even with an an older "prospect"  also.
>   We've sold  dogs with major points.   One was a Maturity
winner....finished easily in his new
>   home, one with both majors finished and became the sire of a U.S. Grand
Victor from a breeding
>   we did before we placed him.....the other a gorgeous dog that severely
injured his back playing
>   soccer and never finished. ( one of those things that can go wrong
....<G>...LIFE is a gamble )
>   Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
>
>   MarcatoGSD@xxxxxxx wrote:
>     But this is what I don't understand! So many people say "Don't get a
puppy!   Don't get a puppy!"
>   but that's all we new people see is available!   Every now and then I
see somebody's site with
>   something such as "9 month old  Show prospect available!" but I can't
help but be a bit skeptical,
>   because with everything I've seen/learned/been taught, the whole reason
people keep back
>   puppies is to see if they'll turn out...and then at 9 months it's "show
prospect available!"
>   Maybe they don't have the room they thought they have, and maybe it
didn't turn out the way
>   THEY wanted it to...but how am I supposed to know if it really IS a
show quality puppy if they're
>   giving it up at 9 months of age!?

>   Why do you assume they are "giving up"......maybe they just grew them
through a couple
>   of stages,  from pasterns going soft to some sloppiness, or a
questionable bite, or soft
>   ear or whatever.
>   Also......as per your last statement on this post.....you absolutely
MUST learn to deal with
>   disappointment if you want to breed and show dogs!    EVERY successful
breeder has
>   suffered pain and disappointment........you aren't allowed to be an
exception.......<G>
>   Welcome to the sport of breeding and showing dogs......you WILL
suffer....and grin a lot!
>   Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
>   www.marhaven.com
>
>   It's very confusing, and it makes me very wary, especially after having
so many things fall
>   through/go wrong with other breeders/puppies.
>   So people say (using Mo's example) "I would never touch a show prospect
at less than a
>   year and one that had good pre-lims", well, you're established, you
have connections...you
>   can easily find those dogs. What about the newbie/novice that has NO
CLUE?!

>   I would very much like my next prospect to be older, because I just
CANNOT