[ SHOWGSD-L ] Wilma and Fred's 1st. National

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 12:09:23 -0400

     Wilma and Fred's 1st. National

by

Barbara J. Galasso

Wilma and Fred are very excited about going to their first National with
Koochie Koo and have been preparing for it for months.  Now Wilma is a
very organized type of woman.  She writes everything down on a List so
she's sure to remember to bring everything she needs for the National.
Fred...........well Fred is just Fred, doing what ever it is that makes
Wilma happy, but especially his Koochie Koo dog.  You remember Fred and
Wilma when I introduced them to you when they started showing him in the
spring shows.  Most of the time, they'd go home in fifth place, but they
were more encouraged when he won a fourth place ribbon out of four dogs
entered.  Wow something to take home and show to their friends.

So Koochie Koo is going to the National.  He's been bathed and groomed,
and sprayed and fluffed, nails cut, ears cleaned, and doesn't he look
like the star that Fred always believed him to be?!  29 inches at the
wither, 110 pounds and all male.  Yup, he's ready for the National.
What makes Fred even happier is that he's showing him himself.  He even
went out and bought himself a brand new checkered polyester suit at
K-Mart.  He's got to look as good as all those other top handlers, you
know.

"Okay Fred, let's go over the list one more time before we leave to make
sure we got everything packed in the mini-van", Wilma says.  "Combs and
brushes, water, dishes, grooming spray, bloat kit, towels, dog biscuits,
dog food, toys, dog crate, leashes and collars, pooper scooper, hotel
reservations, map and directions, cell phone and charger, camera and
charger, paper towels, newspapers, and change for the tolls."  Does that
sound about like we got everything Fred,"Wilma asks.  "Check", Fred says
enthusiastically.  "Oh, Wilma, Fred chimes in," I packed up the car with
our two favorite folding chairs too."  "Take them out Fred," I paid for
the bleacher seats already".  "Yeah, but you know how much I like my
chair with the added pillow for comfort" he says pouting.  "Take them
out Fred," Wilma impatiently says.  He begrudgingly obliges, but he only
takes hers out, hoping she doesn't notice.

"All right then", Wilma says.  "It looks like we're all set to hit the
road".  "Oh I forgot, let me go run back in the house" she says.  "I
made up some liverwurst sandwiches and some Kool Aid so we don't have to
stop that often on the road" Wilma exclaims.  "I hope you got me some of
those Twinkies I like", Fred seems to plead.  With a twinkle in her eye,
Wilma says "would I forget your favorite treat Fred?"

So Wilma and Fred are off.  "Watch out for the 16 wheeler that's pulling
up along side of us Fred", Wilma says nervously.  "I see it, I see it
Wilma, for Pete's sake".  "What do you think, I'm blind"?, he says
sarcastically. "Okay now Fred, you better get over into the left hand
lane, that's where the exit for I-95 is", Wilma directs him.  "Geez,
you'd think I just got my drivers license the way she talks to me," Fred
whispers to himself.  Traffic is flowing nice and easy.  It's a good
thing they got an early start.

"So Wilma, what do you think about the judges for this year's National",
Fred inquires.  "You think any of them will like our Koochie Koo boy?"
"Well let's see now Fred, we got "Barbara Fame a Don" judging males and
I'm told she loves a beautiful standing dog with a lovely side gait."
"Yeah, well Koochie stands well and he's got a shiney coat and he loves
to gallop around the ring, so she should love him," Fred proudly
proclaims.  "Then how about the lady who's judging the bitches?  I'd
like to take a look at one of those girls to breed to our boy," Fred
pipes in.  Well that's "Debra Hold a Hand", and I hear she's a friend to
all so she could help us", Wilma says.  "Hey the heck with that Wilma,
Fred says changing his mind.  "I want to see the champion bitches and
who "Ken Down The Lane" picks as his Selects".  "I want only the best
for Koochie after all, he says defiantly.

"Ok, ok, Fred" Wilma says impatiently.  "You better pull over at that
rest stop so I can use the ladies room and you can walk Koochie".  Fred
pulls over, and Wilma quickly jumps out to go to the rest room.  Fred
opens the back of the van to let Koochie out.  Wilma returns 10 minutes
later.  "all right Fred, your turn to use the rest room."  "Did Koochie
go pooty," she asks.  With his head held low, Fred is shuffling his feet
and kicking up the pebbles that lay on the ground.  "Well don't just
stand there, let's get going", Wilma says.  "Koochie may have gone
potty", Fred says, but just not here". "Fred, what are you talking
about, Wilma asks as she's loosing her patience.  "We forgot to put him
in the crateWilma", Fred gingerly admits.  With that, Wilma beats him
all over the head with the pooper scooper, throws his favorite chair
with the pillow attached to it on the ground and tells him, now sit
there in the chair you love so much and munch on your Twinkie and wait
while I go back home to get Koochie."  Moral of the story:  never make a
List for a dog show and forget to include the dog on it.............well
not if you're Wilma and Fred that is.