[ SHOWGSD-L ] Will we be "compromising our Selects"?

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 19:33:52 -0400

Many of you have seen the web-site Ferrum Photolineage GSD American
Select Gallery and know that it shows photos and the years of our GV/GVX
and Selects by the year they won that title along with the judges name
who bestowed that honor to them.  Because it takes forever to look this
all up, I'll save you some time and will report to you the last 20 years
of the number of Selects (including GV/GVX) that was awarded.
Year:      males:             females:
2002 -    18                    15
2001 -    13                    12
2000 -    13                    12
1999 -    11                    11
1998 -    14                    14
1997 -    12                    14
1996 -      9                      9
1995 -    10                     11
1994 -    12                     14
1993 -      8                       7
1992 -      8                       8
1991 -     13                     14
1990 -     13                     13
1989 -     14                     14
1988 -     11                     13
1987 -     11                     14
1986 -     10                     12
1985 -     12                     13
1984 -     13                     12
1983 -       9                       9
1982 -       9                     10
As you can see, mostly double digit numbers.  In the last 20 years,
seven of those years males were given out 10 or less Selects.  In the
last 20 years, five of those years females were given out 10 or less
Selects.  So are you going to tell me that those judges who handed out
more than 10 Selects, are saying that from their Select number 11 and
on, they were not good enough (according to the "new" rules of allowing
only 10 Selects)?   Look this List up and you will see many of the lower
Selects, in the following years did indeed, go higher and some made it
all the way to the top!  I've said it twice before in other past
e-mails, and sorry if this is getting redundant, but needs to be
repeated..............CONDITION and PERFORMANCE on the day that the
National is judged will prove your winners time and time again.  Read
the judges critiques:  "I've seen this dog before, but on this day
he/she was asking for it, and could not be denied".  How many
dogs/bitches have Multiple Select titles to their credit, but they never
make GV/GVX?   And how many of them never make their ROM titles?  As
breeders, you know that that dogs lay back of shoulder, croup, rear
angulation hasen't changed from the year before.  The dogs structure is
never going to change as an adult.  If you didn't like his shoulder last
year, you're not going to like his shoulder any better this
year.......no miracle taking place!!   It's how he/she is using what
they have on the day that they are judged.  It's not the number of
Selects that we should be concerning ourselves with, it's the Parent
Clubs wording of saying what a Select should be..........as good as the
GV/GVX on another day.  So what you're telling me is suddenly the next
year, that same dog grew a curvier turn of stifle, or a longer upper
arm?   So what are our judges to say when they judge the animals that
come into his/her ring?   Gee, I really like 12 of these dogs, but the
rules say I can only give out 10?  "Sorry fella, I like you alot too,
but the rules tell me I have to cut it off at 10."  "Come back next year
and give it another try".  And to call these other ones that you like
anything else but Select would be an insult to the owners of all the
dogs that went Select before this year.  Too much "rules and
regulations".  We're taking the "fun" out of the sport of showing dogs.
"Signs, signs, everywhere signs, do this, do that, can't you read the
signs"?!   (You "baby boomers" will know where I'm quoting that line
from).  Yeah, and I'm LOL!    Rules are made to be broken, but in this
case there was nothing broken that needed fixing.   We are a CLUB, that
is suppose to promote, and improve our chosen breed and yes, darn it to
have some fun while doing it.  This isn't Congress for Pete
sakes..........although it's starting to feel that way.  Barbara Galasso