[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Wierd judges

  • From: <Michael.Cheeks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 09:47:57 -0500

It would seem to me that this judge's procedure should have been brought =
to the attention of the show superintendent or the show secretary.  =
Based on my long ago review of AKC guidelines, the AKC is very concerned =
about "image" and how the public perceives dogs shows.  I would think =
that the AKC would not want to hear that some child, decided to emulate =
the judges temperament test at home, and that child subsequently gets =
nailed.=20

A few extracts from the AKC's website follow:

"Judging The Dogs":

.."With this authority comes the responsibility to be thoughtful and =
considerate. Be as systematic in your ring procedure from dog to dog and =
class to class as conditions permit." Emphasis on thoughtful and =
considerate.....

"You should avoid theatrical movements or making inappropriate comments =
to ringside. Be polite, but generally limit your conversation with =
exhibitors to instructions on positioning or gaiting the dogs."  =
emphasis on "avoid theatrical movements"

"Individual Examination of Dogs Examine every dog in approximately the =
same systematic manner, even if a poor specimen may clearly be out of =
the ribbons. Approach dogs calmly. Examine with gentleness of touch and =
with no sudden, surprising gestures. One satisfactory approach is to =
begin with the mouth and head, then systematically work down the neck, =
front, shoulders, body, and hindquarters. It is not necessary to =
determine soundness by forcibly raising and dropping front or =
hindquarters or applying pressure on the hocks." Emphasis on "Approach =
dogs calmly. Examine with gentleness of touch and with no sudden, =
surprising gestures."

Its probably too late to do anything about this now, but I think =
comments should be forwarded to the AKC.

Michael Cheeks
TRAFALGAR German Shepherds

Msg: #2 in digest
From: ROBINHAUSGSD@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 01:03:55 EST
Subject: Re: Wierd judges

In a message dated 11/15/04 8:53:44 PM Central Standard Time, =
EJDegen@xxxxxxx
writes:
  He did no temperament test at all in the classes and it was only  in
Winners (dogs) that he did it.  He only had 2 class winners in  there.  =
didn't see his complete "test" on the first dog, I was  playing with my =
girl
outside the ring and looked up and over at him as  he was STOMPING down =
the
mat
quickly at the 1st dog and reaching for it.   I watched him then and he =
sent
the
next dog on the down and  back.  When the dog was about 1/2 way back (in =
the
middle of the ring),  then he put his arms out to the sides, hunched =
over and
very quickly STOMPED and  almost ran at the dog.  Neither of the dogs in =
the
Winners class held their  ground.  He's lucky they were softer dogs and
didn't
attack him.=20

This entire episode is ridiculous and he should not be judging the breed =
!!!!
and I used to think he was a decent judge !!!

We need to do something about the impression that most of these people =
have
of our breed.
If I personally run in to him somewhere I will give him a piece of my =
mind
about what he did.  I think somebody needs to talk to this man.  There =
is no
excuse for his actions.  And I do judge the breed !!

Pat Robinson
ROBINHAUS

End of showgsd-l Digest V1 #101
POST is Copyrighted 2004.  All material remains the property of the Poster and
of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of any kind are
permitted without prior permission of the original poster AND of the Showgsd-l
Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

For technical help and administrative matters, please contact the List
Administrators at admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx