[ SHOWGSD-L ] Why we survive

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 16:40:01 -0400 (EDT)

This is an opinion that comes up every ten years or so. I first heard it
with Lance. We were breeding so much on Lance, that the breed was doomed.
Some went so far as to advertise that they lines free of Lance.

Then I remember Flag. There were so many Flag litters and everyone was
trying to breed back and make the lines stronger by breeding into Flag  lines.

Lately I hear Aries.  I know everything that was winning was from the  same
lines, and we doubled up on those breeding to get another super dog.

It seems to come about now and then. Yes, there can be problem when you
breed animals, (not just dogs). But, from what I see, and read, we are no
different than the other breeds with different problems.

It is hard to have dogs dying on you and not think the entire breed is that
 way  Maybe it isn't as bad on the West Coast, or maybe there is more
communication about it back East. And, maybe it is just an individuals's
perception due to what they went through.

I know we had two Scorpio sons die of torsion. That was probably about 20
years ago, and until our house dog died last month of torsion at age 10, we
have  not have a single dog show up with it.

So, you have to look at the big picture, the national data banks and not
your own statistics. If you think we are driving people from the breed, how
do  you answer that it still is within the to three in registration, as it
has been  for over 50 years?

We, those who breed, know what is going on. We know what we are doing, and
how we are protecting the breed.  It is easy to criticize, but the breeders
 I deal with are working hard to eliminate problems in the breed, and are
doing a  good job of it.

Evan L.  Ginsburg
gsyrfund.com
Asgard German  Shepherds
_http://www.asgardgsd.com_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
Where Type  Movement and Temperament come  together

In a message dated 6/11/13 7:27:38 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
ducksavsfan@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I'm  probably going to have an unpopular opinion here, but as I see it,
we're  breeding ourselves into a corner that we won't be able to get out  of.