[ SHOWGSD-L ] Why we can be proud

  • From: "D.D. and Bonnie Ardoin" <cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 11:14:27 -0500

I spent the day Friday at the Baton Rouge triage/special needs/hospital
shelter on the LSU campus.  We were assessing those who needed a higher
level of care than the shelter could provide and offering them a home with
us at our nursing facility.  We brought 10 people home and will be going
back Monday to pick up 10 more people.  The experience was heartbreaking and
heartwarming.  The resolve of these people, most of them who have lost most
everything, is incredible.  There was lots of laughs and smiles and
generosity.  The LA Dept. of Health and Hospitals is doing a wonderful job,
running a well organized shelter.  The volunteer doctors, nurses, and
caregivers are amazing.  The LSU student volunteers are nothing short of
outstanding.  These young people are bathing, dressing, and toileting folks,
as well as keeping them company.  I didn't see anything but smiles,
compassion and senses of humor.  The upcoming days and weeks will not be
easy as these folks settle in and face their losses.  Some of them will
never go home again.  My job is to help them locate family members and offer
counseling as needed.  Thanks LSU shelter volunteers for inspiring me.  I am
proud to be a Louisianian.

Debbi