[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Why vote? (was Why I will never vote to change the Whi...

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: rautt75@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 09:44:11 -0400 (EDT)

They have that choice now.  In fact, so does the man down the street  that
has a golden-doodle.  What people decide to own and love is none of my
business.

We do however have a standard and dark rich pigment is preferred.   White
may have bounced back between a fault, a DQ and perhaps it will go to a  very
serious fault...and who does that help exactly? (I have learned that some
white breeders see it as a stepping stone, a very serious fault today,
having  that removed in five years).

And I can see it now...cheek swabs for color on a puppy I may be
interested in before I write a check, ditto for stud dogs before breeding out
or
accepting a bitch to be serviced.

What you seem to be missing is that our board brought this up in an attempt
 to appease a few, perhaps bring in a handful of members.  Some of us
object  very strongly to how the whole thing was handled.  Did you see the
changes in the wording for coat texture as well?  The idea for removing the
wording for long-coat failed so this latest wording was substituted.

And yes, I understand the process of submitting the standard to the AKC
before the membership votes, and I understand the P & P procedures,
but...what the hell?

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 10/30/2013 9:11:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rautt75@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Kudos to you for checking out the DNA and hopefully genetic problems that
you can screen for now.    Unfortunately, many don't.      But no one is
telling you to breed to or consider a white coat in any way any  more than you
consider a black or long coat.
That is your personal choice and privilege. Allow others the same.
Anne

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 30, 2013, at 9:00 AM, _Pinehillgsds@aol.com_
(mailto:Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx)   wrote:

I don't get it either.  So, let's say white goes from DQ to very  serious
fault.  Are you (generic you) going to accept one for stud  service?  I know
people do, that's obvious by some of the pedigrees a  generation or two
out...

When I breed a litter, gosh I am DNAing for everything now.  The  last
litter I held a bitch back from I narrowed my choices down to 3 and  tested
those for recessive black and coat factor at 4 weeks (knew they'd DNA  DM clear
so didn't do that at the same time).

I only keep a handful of dogs at any given time and I don't prefer a
black, wouldn't keep a coat (personally), because I do want to show the dogs  I
keep, (I like winning!), and why would I keep a dog with a DQ or very
serious fault (white)?...so if I am looking down the road to what I will  want
keep/compete with/later possibly breed and I am looking at a  whelping box
full of puppies, why on earth would I want to narrow my  choices?  I want
cookie cutter, quality litters free of faults,  not 4 girls to choose from, 3
with faults immediately seen in the whelping  box...

I realize that sounds "all about me", but gosh, when I breed a litter I
sure hope to keep something back...I am not breeding to make puppies for  John
Q (too much work!) but now that I bring up John Q, I care deeply about  the
puppies I place into companion homes and wouldn't want John Q to think I
was deliberately breeding DQs or very serious faults....

My first dog was a mixed breed, I was 7.  My first GSD?  You  bet I knew
the standard.  I had memorized Strickland, Hart & Capt v  Stephanitz.

Kathy, member GSDCA,  DVGSDC
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 10/29/2013 9:36:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
_campaignersgsd@yahoo.com_ (mailto:campaignersgsd@xxxxxxxxx)   writes:

If  someone could explain to me what good it would do for our current gene
pool to include whites I could rationalize all this.
Joan

On  Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:31 PM, "_InquestGSD@aol.com_
(mailto:InquestGSD@xxxxxxx) " <_InquestGSD@aol.com_ (mailto:InquestGSD@xxxxxxx)
>  wrote:

Meaning no disrespect to anyone, but neither Jim nor Randy  were there when

>the changes happened. All they are sharing  is their interpretations, and
>applaud them for taking the  time.
>
>If I may, I will suggest that before anyone jumps on  either of the side's

>emotional bandwagons, do your homework,  and read the following books:
>
>-The German Shepherd Dog  (Capt v Stephanitz)
>-The German Shepherd Dog, a genetic history of  the breed.  (Malcolm
Willis)
>-This is the German  Shepherd (Goldbecker/Hart)
>-The German Shepherd Dog (Ernest  Hart)
>
>Why are WGSDs allowed to register??  Why does  AKC accept their
>registration? Because they are German  Shepherds.
>
>I have found no real scientific evidence to  justify the supposed fear of
>poor health on the white GSD's,  only a lot of misunderstanding.
Stephanitz

(mailto:lyloak@xxxxxxxxx) > wrote:

>> The question should not  be why so many disapprove of  whites but why
>there are those that are vehement  in their  breeding against the
standard.  As a
>breeder I look at myself  as  a guardian of the breed.  There is a
standard
>and a  reason for that  standard.  For those looking to have more
background
>I would recommend  reading Randy Darnell's article  in the latest   review

>POST  is Copyrighted 2012.  All material remains the property of the
original author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or  FORWARDS of
any kind are permitted without prior permission of the  original author AND
of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

>Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her  post.  This group
and its administrators are not responsible for the  comments or opinions
expressed in any post.

>ALL PERSONS ARE  ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN ANY
MANNER OF ANY  MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS
PERMISSION OF ALL  PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY

>For assistance, please contact the List Management at _admin@showgsd.org_
(mailto:admin@xxxxxxxxxxx)

>VISIT  OUR WEBSITE - _http://showgsd.org_ (http://showgsd.org/)
>NATIONAL  BLOG - http://gsdnational.blogspot.com/

POST  is Copyrighted 2012.  All material remains the property of the
original author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or  FORWARDS of
any kind are permitted without prior permission of the  original author AND
of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Each Author is responsible for the content of his/her post.   This group
and its administrators are not responsible for the comments or  opinions
expressed in any post.

ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE  FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN ANY
PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE  POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY
FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF  LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE
PROSECUTED.