[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Why newbies are quitting...

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 14:37:16 -0700 (PDT)

My experience is that anyone can walk up to any breeder, handler, or judge
(when not working) and get an opinion.  You might not like it, but if you ask
enough people, the majority of opinions that are pretty much the same will be
the ones you want to believe.

  I was told my bitch should be a select and that she should never go in the
ring.  I have had judges giver her breed over a special, and I have seen her
dumped for animals that I thought should be spayed.

  The overall opinion was that she should be finished in the all breed ring.  I
did all I could, but luck, the final ingredient, was not with me.

  Some judges told my handler that if they were still breeding they would want
one of her pups and words to that effect.

  HMF loved her, thank you very much!!!

  She is retired with no majors, luck as I said.  But she is still lovely and
mine.
  sheila
Zoa Rockenstein <zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Marcy,
I think your comment was very tackful and helpful--certainly not offensive. One
thing that troubles me is that breeders will sell newbies a "show prospect"
puppy, often at a premium price, that isn't really competitive. A person could
go bankrupt trying to finish such an animal, particularly a bitch! As hard as
it is to find show homes for puppies, it would be nice if breeders would take a
chance on serious newbies more often and sell them a dog worth the price they
are paying! It is hard to watch people fall in love with these dogs, after a
promising win, only to be disappointed down the road. Honest, objective
opinions from knowledgable people are certainly hard to come by--but worth
their weight in gold.

Zoa

Dr. Zoa Rockenstein
www.riverrockshepherds.com