[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Why join the GSDCA/Long

  • From: DaniaKarloff@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 16:59:53 EDT

In a message dated 5/12/2005 12:27:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
You are  right on Kathy.  I hear a lot from board members about regional
club  members not "belonging" to the parent club.  How many of our parent
club members no longer participate in or belong to a regional club? The
regional club challenge is proving to be a shot in the arm for the
recognition of the parent club..............

Mary,
You are absolutely right that  we need to have new members that are active
and participate in club  events.  I know that Lew has introduced a number of
programs in the  Regional Clubs Committee to promote members' participation and
hope that we  reap some benefits from these efforts.  He has a number of good
people involved  in his committee.
Personally, I spend a  significant amount of time talking to potential
members, promoting the breed and  talking up the benefits of club
participation.
But I don't know that we  will ever be able to promise people that in each
situation they will receive  benefits which will equal their investment of time
and
effort. And, perhaps, we  should not be thinking of the trade-off, but really
thinking more of what we can  do for the breed and the club than what we are
receiving from it.  For me,  it is a matter of giving back some of the joy
that the dogs and the sport have  given me over the years.
It is, as Amy so aptly  described, very disheartening to be blamed for,
cursed at and despised for being  a member of a governing body (GSDCA or
regional
clubs).  And while we  do deserve blame for some things, we also seem to be the
scapegoat for every  dysfunctional issue occurring within this organization
and within the sport  of dogs.
I am a member of the GSDCA  board and I am responsible for Membership - as
such my duties include and are  limited to encouraging people to join/rejoin;
prepare packets for new members;  create a roster/handbook; and resolve
administrative issues regarding  membership.  These duties take approximately
four to
six hours a  week.  It is really a great job and, for the most part, the
people I talk  to are gracious and understanding.
I am also a member of the  German Shepherd Dog Club of Eastern Virginia where
I serve at the present time  as VP and also as permanent show secretary (the
one that prepares premium lists,  catalogs and generally runs the shows).  I
also belong to the GSDC of  Northern Virginia and also serve as their show
secretary on alternate  shows.
My local club has shrunk  significantly over the years - the few members that
are still active do not seem  to have the "fire in the belly" we used to have
when we were young.    I fear what will happen to the club when we no longer
can do the "work" because  of age or infirmity.
Everyone has a theory of why  are membership participation and entries are
weaning - I don't claim to  have the "magic solution" but I do believe that
attitudes do have to  change and we have to be a little more "gentle and kind"
all - new and  old alike.  We can sure start on this List where I,
periodically, see a  good idea that goes sideways and ends up in people bashing
before
anyone is even  able to respond.   And a bit more understanding and tolerance
of
 othersâ?? interest and preferences would also go a long way.  I loved watching
the debate between Paul  and Evan regarding the limits of selects - they were
definitely at the opposite  ends of the argument but it never became ugly,
the reasons presented were valid  and there was a lot of respect for each other
and for the differences of  opinion.
Ohâ?¦ why â?¦ oh whyâ?¦.  Canâ??t we all reach this  plateau?
Dania