[ SHOWGSD-L ] Why are they the way that they are?

  • From: "The Crystal Crow" <thecrystalcrow@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 21:02:11 -0400

I was being greeted by the pack tonight, and Max's behaviour struck me
oddly. I thought to myself, "I wonder what your life was like before?"
I found I just had to write about it. Much has been going on lately-I have a
LHSH foster/shelter pull that had to have surgery, and life has been
consumed with taking care of her to the neglect of almost everything else.
Mom (Penny) and many other contributed to the surgery (you are all Brooke's
angels!). I'll let you know Brooke's story later, but this is about Max. He
has been subtly failing for a few months, and is beginning to turn his rear
feet over when he walks. He is a bit grouchy with the rest of the pack. I
know the end is inevitable, but I wish it wasn't so soon, that I had known
and appreciated him for all of his life.

If I knew you then?

What was your life like?

You can't seem to speak aloud about it.

But I get clues:

You are the strong, silent type.

You don't kiss?except those rare times, and you are very unsure when you do.
Like it's something forbidden.

You are protective. Your voice calls out at any external noise. My
attendance doesn't seem to calm you-you always must have the last word.

You have preternatural hearing. You can hear a car door open or close, three
doors down, and the noise disturbs you. You are hyperaware of your
environment.

You love rough play. You love when I run my hands all over your skin, push
and roll it through my hands, pull at your limbs.

You want to jump into every pickup truck that you see.

You seem unsure what to do when simply stroked gently. I may pound on your
sides with impunity, and you invite me to roughhouse.

You enjoy being held, but not fussed over.

You are slightly irritated by any other demands on my attention, but you
stoically endure them.

Your eyes are agitated by things I do not understand. They are soft when you
greet me, and when I hold you.

Girls love you. You either soak up the attention or ignore them.
Alternatively, you would be best buddies with any man that you meet.

You contentedly lay your head in my lap, but withdraw when I attempt to
stroke it.

You like bluegrass music. It calms you.

You are content to be on your own, but you prefer my company. You are
jealous of other demands on my time, but remain patient. You have a
long-suffering, distinctive sigh.

Who did you know, before you met me? How did those people shape you, mould
you?

You love me, this I know without a doubt. It is in your eyes, your bearing,
and your joy when I arrive after any absence.

I wish I knew you when you were young. You must have been magnificent then.

You are magnificent still, although a little older, a little slower, a
little more knowing.

If I knew you then, I would know why you don't like to kiss, why you like
trucks and bluegrass music and men.

And maybe I'd understand why they abandoned you.

But I doubt it.

I see how the disease is slowly taking away your ability to move, and taking
you away from me.

I see how you are ill-tempered with others when you are in pain.

I realize how little time we have left.

I intend to make the most of it.

I love you, Max.

Kristal Crow