[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Why People Don't Stay

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pruett@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:56:08 -0700 (PDT)

As many dogs as I have seen through the years, I have learned to look for
awkward stages.  If they don't get gangly I worry they will age too fast.  I
have seen where dogs finish very early and then by 5 years they look like 10.
sheila
From: Mary Tripp

You have to use your head and your heart. You cannot give up on a pup =
that=20
gets gangly at 7 months and wish later that you had held on to that=20
one. Where the breeder is most important is know how the puppies grow =
and=20
when they will come into their own. Listen to the breeder. Very few=20
handlers can tell you how the dog will grow, because they only see the =
dogs=20
at their best---at the shows.

AMEN to the above! There is no substitute for a successful, in the =
trenches breeder's knowledge of what stages a youngster will grow through =
before coming a finished product. Handlers, particularly those who are =
NOT breeders, do not understand when to "shut their eyes" and when not to =
when evaluating a puppy's potential. Give me a good breeder's opinion any =
day over that of a handler when it comes to evaluating young stock.

Laurie

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training