[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Why I want more information about DM

  • From: MORGAN LEWIS <shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ELG440@xxxxxxx" <ELG440@xxxxxxx>, "Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 16:03:35 -0800 (PST)

Will try to answer to the best of my knowledge:
 I want to know if all dogs that test for both markers of DM do  show signs
of it.

NO, the markers simply indicate that the dog is a carrier of the  disease; it
does not indicate that the dog will show signs at time of death.

I want to know if dogs free of DM markers ever go down in the  rear from
causes not known?
YES, IVVD for one, we need more Necropsies!!

I want to know if we breed free of the two DM markers for  generations if
we can eliminate DM from the breed?
That is the prayer and hope of everyone, In theory  YES

Morgan  Lewis, RPh.
Member GSDCA
President Last Hope of  Georgia 501c3
"So Much to Do, So Little Time"