[ SHOWGSD-L ] Why I do it my way (long and of questionable value)

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 12:04:31 EST

In a message dated 2/3/05 8:02:49 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
windvane@xxxxxxxx writes:
Now Now  Evan , sounds like your getting a little testy?
as you say" not that  there's anything wrong with that."

Not actually.  Everyone who knows me knows it is hard to get my testy  meter
up over half way.

I have always felt strongly about a number of things related to this  sport.
 This might be a good time to set them out, since we seem to  be in a lull
between trashing the next national location, and arguing about  German vs.
American dogs.  These are my ten main points I try to remember  each day. Of
course, each day I have more trouble remembering things.

1.  Our board works hard for us, tries to do what is best for the  breed, the
club members and the club.  They are dedicated people who take  the blame and
seldom get the credit. Anyone who is willing to serve on the board  should be
respected.

2.  No one, who is not elected to stand in the center of the ring  should be
telling the judge how to judge, unless it is some system set up before  the
show. Then, if the judge does not do it, the people who will elect the judge
in
the future, should be who will decide if they want that person back.   How
the judge judges on that day is his or her opinion, and on that day it is  the
only opinion that counts.

3.   There are very few instances where judging is other than  honest.  Some
judges may be stupid, some may not know the standard, and  some may not care.
But judging dogs is not important enough to be crooked.   In the all-breed
rings often judges do not understand our breed, but they are  not dishonest,
just
incompetent.

4.  The people are what make the sport so much fun.  Who we meet,  and who we
deal with is what matters.  While the dogs are important, they  are just how
we keep score.

5.  How much you win, does not make you a better person.  If you  lose, it
does not make you less of a human being.  How you deal with your  dogs, other
people and your family is how you should be judged, not how many  champions you
have.

6.   If this sport is not fun for you, it is time to do something  else.
There is nothing about showing dogs that is required of  anyone.

7.   The breed continues to improve as the breeders try to  eliminate
problems. The future is always going to be better than the past, no  matter how
our
memories try to tell us it used to be so much better.

8.   New people in the breed always have something of interest  and value to
add. Just because we have done this for 30 or 40 years does not  mean we have
all the answers.

9.   You should only give advice to those who want to listen to  it. And, if
others listen to you, that does not make you right.

10.   If you don't like a judge, don't enter.  If you do  enter, accept the
decision from that judge, and always remember you chose to  enter.  No one
forced you to do so.

Evan

_Asgard German Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament  come together