[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Why ?

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dlauffer@xxxxxxxxxxx" <dlauffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>, lexieshep@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 14:06:58 -0600

 Most all-breed judges are not"students" of the GSD..just as we are not
students of their respective breeds. Therefore the all-breed GSD must meet
a certain criteria that will be acceptable to the majority of judges who
don't really know the breed. In nearly every breed..good feet, strong
pasterns, straight bone, clean coming and going, only moderate angulation
in the rear and a good head piece with allot of expression are important.
Add to this standing and baiting. with GSD's I have found and heard from
many with all-breed experience that most judges prefer a typical black and
tan saddle back, a dark eye, sidegait only has to be adequate at best and
softer backs are often forgiven. If you think about it..many breeds are not
judged on motion but on standing..also many breeds have softer backs..some
breeds even butt high, many breeds are straight in pasterns and have little
if any rear angulation. If you are a terrier judge doing GSD's...it is
going to be more difficult for you to understand the angulation front and
rear of our breed. if you are a GSD person doing terriers..it is going to
be more difficult for you to appreciate the straight should and rear and
the more stilted motion from the side. many all-rounders rely on what they
have been "told" about the GSD. I had the experience this past summer of
attending some all-breed shows..I spoke with the judge who was doing
shepherds..and she told me that she had been told years ago that the GSD
should be a much longer dog than tall..consequently, she found the longest
dog in each class for her winners.I didn't bother arguing with her..she
looked to be nearly 90 and I wasn't going to change her mind! C.Grainger

could finish at an all breed show" or "That dog isn't a specialty type".
I've only been in conformation for 4 years but that is one thing I have
never understood.  In my opinion they should be the same dog capable of
winning in either ring if they are bred to the standard.  I have a male
that I showed in both all breed and specialty.  I have a bitch that I try
to only show in outdoor shows regardless if they are all breed or
specialty.  She doesn't like the mats indoors.
> A member of our club has drafted a letter to send to the all breed kennel
clubs in our area explaining why we like bigger rings and why we like
outdoor rings and asking them to consider that when planning this coming
years shows.  We'll see if they take it to heart!