[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Who's going to watch your dogs?

  • From: "L. Hartten" <hartten@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:33:52 -0600

Hi Barbara,

On 9/13/06 6:30 AM, Barbara Galasso wrote:
> The National is fast approaching.  Some of your dogs you'll take with
> you and others will remain home.  Being that I'm single, I don't have
> anyone home to watch my dogs, so I have a choice, either to get someone
> in to feed them and bring them in, or to board them.  The later is not
> what I want to do.  Where I used to live, I always had girls come in to
> take care of them.  So I got some names from my vet and someone who
> breeds another breed of dog who knows someone who does this.  I'll start
> calling these people this week.  What's your feeling......have someone
> come in or board?  What's been your experience with either one of these?

  I had a vet tech who worked with a vet from church sit for me once,
just for a weekend; she wasn't very responsible and I never did that
again.  For the last few years, I've been using pet sitters whenever
Kate & I are away.  (If I have to go away without her, whoever stays at
the house with her also supervises the pets.)  There's now a membership
organization for pet sitters that has a web site (www.petsit.com) that
can help you find a pet sitter and give you information about how to
pick one.

  I interviewed several before I chose one (who was awesome).  When she
had to stop sitting because of family issues, I used another one time
(didn't work well), then went back to the drawing board to find &
interview the pair I'm using now (great folks). The  pet sitters I've
used have been bonded and insured; the 1st 2 times I didn't check
references, this last time I sure did!  My pet sitters have been willing
to come 2-3 times/day, depending on my pets' current needs, to
toilet/feed/water/medicate/walk/play with everyone.  In addition,
they'll put out garbage cans and bring in mail and twiddle with blinds &
windows. They write up notes each time they visit, so I know what's up.
I think they charge $15 for 1visit/day, $25 for 2, $35 for 3 -- 2 dogs +
2 cats fits under that, any more animals might be extra.  In theory,
they spend 30min per visit, but I can tell they usually spend more --
maybe that's tied to the note they usually leave at the end of the
written record saying I have the sweetest dogs they sit!

  I always ask potential pet sitters a lot of questions ahead of time,
but the good ones will ask you a lot, too.  The current ones have a
detailed form about to fill out about each pet.  I also type up detailed
instructions for each pet and include info about the vet and about 2
friends who have house keys & know the dogs.  I give them a copy and
leave another on the fridge.

Cheers,
  Leslie
--