[ SHOWGSD-L ] Who's at ringside?

  • From: Tom Elkins <firethorntemplete@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Show GSD List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 11:53:59 -0500

The discussion of judges showing their own dogs is as old as time, and if it
had anything to do with specialty clubs disappearing they would have all
disappeared a long time ago. The GSD specialty world is and always has been
relatively small, even when it wasn't an endangered species the way it is now.
I've been to many specialty shows where almost all of the people at ringside
were either judges or lifelong breeders, and they all know one another. Does
that mean that if one of them has a dog in the show and it wins that the win
must somehow be dishonest? I don't think so. If they have the best dog they
SHOULD win, and it also shouldn't matter if they're a member of the hosting
club or not. Have I seen a few wins that looked  shady? Yes, but really very
few in the big picture.  More common by far is the situation at all-breeds
where some doddering old wombat who never accomplished a thing in GSDs and
doesn't know the breed gives a dog a group or a  BIS just because some of his
other Ancient Cronies have done so, and the dog's owners are spending a bunch
of money on glossy overpriced ads in ego-massaging coffee table mags.
NEVERTHELESS  (ahem, please read carefully), I LOVE every all-breed show, and
every specialty show, and every GSD dog and person that enters in conformation
anywhere because they're keeping it alive, and the whole thing may soon
disappear or become so miniscule that we'll all have to find new ways to
release the toxic gasses of our pent up grouchiness, and that would cause
massive confusion and general disorientation.
tom elkins
www.firethorntemple.com