[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Whole body donors

  • From: EastGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 00:43:22 EDT

--c99.ba083df_alt_bound

In a message dated 3/17/2007 11:59:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,

Msg: #5  in digest
From: "Margery Golant" <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  P.S. RE: Re: SELCH & Can Ch Monte Alban UDT
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007  23:56:26 -0400

P.S.  To me, it is so sad and disrepectful to the  memory of an animal who
loved his people to do that to him. I do not mean  this in any way as a
judgment or criticism of anyone who is ok with it or  who may have done it -
maybe some think that is silly, undoubtedly not  everyone agrees, but to me
they are family members, and I cannot imagine  mutilating them, then
eeeek....
I have done wills for people who wanted  their bodies donated to science.
After their deaths, their families were so  horrified at the idea, they
refused to adhere to those instructions. It is  not a concept that most loved
ones can handle, even though it may assist in  the study of anatomy.

Marg, my 90 yr old grandmother passed away last January.  She was a  whole
body donor to the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School in NJ.  This  didn't
bother
me at all, it was her wish. I am sure many people cannot  understand this and
that is ok, I try to explain it if I can and explain how I  felt about it and
how my family feels about it.  The school just had us up  there for a
memorial service in thanks of the past year's donors and their  speeches and
thankfulness were very comforting as well as profound in the amount  of emotion
projected. No, they knew none of the "cadaver's" names.....but one  student
wrote a
piece that was shared about that very issue and was moved to  tears as the
names of the donors were read as he felt that was something someone  should
never
be denied; their name. I know my Nana provided a very personal,  extreme gift
to a group of students she did not know, they knew that and I know  that. But
what now do they know as a result of having this privilege?  I am  sure it is
quite a bit. I was glad to be able to attend a function and hear her  name
called just one more time and have others remember the incredible  generosity
of
this woman I loved so very much.  They have her body,  Alzheimers Disease had
her mind......God has her soul and I have my  memories.

Guess I just felt like sharing. If anyone is interested in any of this or
has a question about it they can email me privately, I don't mind.

Cherri

 Stan says  "De asini vmbra disceptare"

Eastgsd
Cherri  Pursell
_www.eastgsd.com_ (http://www.eastgsd.com/)
Thom's  GSDs NJ

--c99.ba083df_alt_bound

<HTML><HEAD><META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=
=3DUS-ASCII"></HEAD>
<BODY id=3Drole_body style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: #004000; FONT-FAMILY:=20=
Georgia"   bottomMargin=3D7 leftMargin=3D7 topMargin=3D7 rightMargin=3D7><FO=
NT id=3Drole_document   face=3DGeorgia color=3D#004000 size=3D3>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>In a message dated 3/17/2007 11:59:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,=20
Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE   style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: blu=
e 2px solid"><FONT     style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" face=3DArial=20=
color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Msg: #5=20
  in digest<BR>From: "Margery Golant" &lt;mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>Subje=
ct:=20
  P.S. RE: Re: SELCH &amp; Can Ch Monte Alban UDT<BR>Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007=20
  23:56:26 -0400<BR><BR>P.S.&nbsp; To me, it is so sad and disrepectful to t=
he=20
  memory of an animal who<BR>loved his people to do that to him. I do not me=
an=20
  this in any way as a<BR>judgment or criticism of anyone who is ok with it=20=
or=20
  who may have done it -<BR>maybe some think that is silly, undoubtedly not=20
  everyone agrees, but to me<BR>they are family members, and I cannot imagin=
e=20
  mutilating them, then<BR>eeeek....<BR>I have done wills for people who wan=
ted=20
  their bodies donated to science.<BR>After their deaths, their families wer=
e so=20
  horrified at the idea, they<BR>refused to adhere to those instructions. It=
 is=20
  not a concept that most loved<BR>ones can handle, even though it may assis=
t in=20
  the study of anatomy.</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>
<DIV>Marg, my 90 yr old grandmother passed away last January.&nbsp; She was=20=
a=20
whole body donor to the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School in NJ.&nbsp; This=
=20
didn't bother me at all, it was her wish. I am sure many people cannot=20
understand this and that is ok, I try to explain it if I can and explain how=
 I=20
felt about it and how my family feels about it.&nbsp; The school just had us=
 up=20
there for a memorial service in thanks of the past year's donors and their=20
speeches and thankfulness were very comforting as well as profound in the am=
ount=20
of emotion projected. No, they knew none of the "cadaver's" names.....but on=
e=20
student wrote a piece that was shared about that very issue and was moved to=
=20
tears as the names of the donors were read as he felt that was something som=
eone=20
should never be denied; their name. I know my Nana provided a very personal,=
=20
extreme gift to a group of students she did not know, they knew that and I k=
now=20
that. But what now do they know as a result of having this privilege?&nbsp;=20=
I am=20
sure it is quite a bit. I was glad to be able to attend a function and hear=20=
her=20
name called just one more time and have others remember the incredible=20
generosity of this woman I loved so very much.&nbsp; They have her body,=20
Alzheimers Disease had her mind......God has her soul and I have my=20
memories.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Guess I just felt like sharing. If anyone is interested in any of this=20=
or=20
has a question about it they can email me privately, I don't mind. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Cherri</DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DGeorgia size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SERIF" PTSIZE=3D"10"><=
IMG SRC=3D"cid:X.MA1.1174193002@aol.com";  height=3D81   width=3D61 border=
=3D0 DATASIZE=3D"1765" ID=3D"MA1.1174193002" ></FONT><FONT   lang=3D0 face=
=3DGeorgia color=3D#004000 size=3D3 FAMILY=3D"SERIF" PTSIZE=3D"12"> Stan say=
s=20
"</FONT><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DGaramond color=3D#008000 size=3D3 FAMILY=3D"SE=
RIF"   PTSIZE=3D"12">De asini vmbra disceptare</FONT><FONT lang=3D0 face=3DG=
eorgia   color=3D#004000 size=3D3 FAMILY=3D"SERIF" PTSIZE=3D"12">"<BR><BR>Ea=
stgsd<BR>Cherri=20
Pursell<BR><A href=3D"http://www.eastgsd.com/";>www.eastgsd.com</A></FONT><FO=
NT   lang=3D0 face=3DGeorgia color=3D#004000 size=3D3 FAMILY=3D"SERIF" PTSIZ=
E=3D"12"><BR>Thom's=20
GSDs NJ</FONT></DIV></FONT><BR><BR><BR><DIV><FONT style=3D"color: black; fon=
t: normal 10pt ARIAL, SAN-SERIF;"><HR style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 10px">AOL now off=
ers free email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at <A=20=
title=3D"http://www.aol.com?ncid=3DAOLAOF00020000000339"; href=3D"http://www.=
aol.com?ncid=3DAOLAOF00020000000339" target=3D"_blank"><B>AOL.com</B></A>. <=
/FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--c99.ba083df_alt_bound--