[ SHOWGSD-L ] Whites and the World

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 17:49:55 -0500

In the USA(AKC), Canada(CKC), United Kingdom(KC) and Australia(ANKC), White
GSD's are not recognized as a separate breed.  In most other developed
countries, Whites are considered a separate breed.
In 2011, the FCI(Fédération Cynologique Internationale), the World Canine
Organization, officially recognized the White Shepherd as a separate breed
known as the Berger Blanc Suisse or White Swiss Shepherd Dog.  In 1999, the
UKC(United Kennel Club) recognized the White GSD as a separate breed known as
the White Shepherd.

In Australia, as of 2005, the ANKC(Australian National Kennel Council) has
refused to allow the registration of any dog whose color is DQ'd by its Breed
Standard.  This means that a White GSD can not even be registered as a German
Shepherd Dog.  (And some people think we are elitists.  <G>)

Registration can get a bit tricky in Oz...  If two colored dogs throw a White,
then the White dog can be given *limited* registration as a German Shepherd
Dog.  No breeding rights.  If a *foreign* dog is registered as a Berger Blanc
Suisse by the FCI and imported into Australia, the dog will be recognized by
the ANKC, providing compliance with ANKC regulations.  Otherwise, all White
GSD's residing in Australia are considered German Shepherd Dogs of white
coloring and can not be registered as a Berger Blanc Suisse.

I'm not stating an opinion as to whether or not Whites should be established as
a separate breed here in America.  Nor am I suggesting we do as the world does.
 I just think the above facts are quite interesting.

Is it coincidental that the 4 countries, where the White GSD in not considered
a separate breed, are part of the UK-USA Security Agreement -- an alliance of
five English-speaking countries(including New Zealand) for the sole purpose of
intelligence sharing.  I just love a conspiracy theory!  <G>

PaulETTE McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Wellborn-Allemande German Shepherds
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam