[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Whites

  • From: Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: carolyn mckenna <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 18:09:31 -0700 (PDT)

How about Hemangiosarcoma?  I know there were diseases
back in the 60's and 70's but how many GSD's were lost
as pups to 7 years of age back then? I remember HD
as being the top reason but even then they lived to
be in their teens. These were the German GSD's though but
then of course most GSD's I knew were. However in the
beginning most top American GSD's lines came from Germany.
Even Lloyd who my father knew used the German lines in
the beginning as he used them though linebreeding and
inbreeding off the line of Utz von Haus Schutting.

Then you can add some Long-Worth dogs carried the White
recessive gene to stay on topic.

Ch Dennis of Long Worth
Ch Derry of Long Worth ROM
Ch Drum of Long Worth ROM
Zeal of Long Worth
Ch Zeno of Long Worth

Theresa
Carolyn wrote:

 I see no issues now that were not around in the 60s and 70s.  Also, Scootie
and Pat were working tirelessly to protect the breed from these same
problems.  My Mike daughter died of toxic gut in the early 70s as did her
daughter.    You say you have owned and love (sic) this breed for over
50 years.  Well, so have i, and I see nothing new in health problems
but much progress on the part of the GSDCA to solve them.

Carolyn