[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Whites

  • From: "Nancy Harper Mulvaney " <nancy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rautt75@xxxxxxxxx>, "'showgsd'" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 15:11:39 -0400

We can go on forever discussing the pros and cons surrounding the ATTRIBUTES
of the White German Shepherd, OR who bred them long ago, or who didn't breed
them long ago, or if our Founding Father liked or disliked the white color
in his "dream dog". If they are suitable for SAR work, or police Work or ANY
KIND OF WORK.  If we remain "OPEN MINDED" we will readily admit color is not
the basis to determine the ability of the dog to work.  Is the white dog
used for SAR?  Is that really the point?  Are they utilized in other
services?  Is that REALLY the point? .
Are the attributes of the White Shepherd and the appeal of the White
Shepherd to some people really the heart of the THE POINT?  Let us consider
the following>

1)      Is it a valid reason to CHANGE OUR STANDARD for the purpose of
pleasing some while admitting a SERIOUS FAULT to the conformation ring?

2)      Do we need or just want MORE SERIOUS FAULTS outlined in our
Standard?

3)      What is the purpose behind outlining Serious Faults in ANY BREED
STANDARD?  Might it be meant to serve as a warning?

4)      Is the White German Shepherd TYPICAL of TYPE known & generally
RECONIZED as a GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG?
           Likewise would a solid white GREAT DANE be TYPICAL of that breed?

   5) What harm would be caused if the GSDCA and the AKC would recognize the
Berger Swiss as a separate breed?

   6) Would the current proposed change" to the Standard of the GSD "open
the door" for subsequent changes such as Pandas or other?

   7) Are rich, strong colors 'PREFERRED' or not?  Which is it?  Can we have
it both ways?  Does it ring true to make a
      definitive statement (strong colors preferred) and then contradict
ourselves
      by not only including another  "serious fault"  but one which "waters
down" the definitive statement???????

   Personal preference of the White over strong rich colors IS JUST THAT a
personal preference - nothing more, nothing less.
   So the question becomes:   Are the personal preferences of some
justification for something as serious as a Standard Change?

.  Throughout the history of the German Shepherd Dog Standard CHANGES HAVE
BEEN INITIATED TO

1)       IMPROVE SPECIFIC ASPECTS OF THE DOG/BREED OR
2)       Reverse a trend that threatens TO UNDERMINE THE TRUE 'type' of the
Breed. A good example is the change addressing missing teeth.
                 There was a time, in our history, when gaping holes in our
Breed's mouth was becoming very common place. So to ADDRESS this trend
                 The Standard was changed - was there good reason and
justification? Tell me what working dog can grip without sufficient teeth?
                 SO DID THE CHANGE PROTECT THE BREED?  Did the change affect
the future of the Breed in a DISTINCT POSITIVE WAY?  - you bet

                The ultimate question remains -

                How does the DELIBERATE ADMISSION INTO THE CONFORMATION of a
serious fault, which is contradictory to another statement in the Standard
IMPROVE AND OR PROTECT THE BREED?

                Thank you

                Nancy Harper